Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gizmo used to love people...up until 1 month ago he was ultra sweet...a little hesitant of kids and ohter dogs, but wasn't mean or anything.

We just got back from a pet shop and he growled at the Yorkie who was trying to get him to play with her, and growled at the owner and even tried to nip her! I don't want Giz to end up being one of those mean chihuahuas everyone talks about. :(

I don't know where I went wrong...he is getting progressively aggressive in that he is growling and trying to nip at people...it's true that for the last month or so he hasn't been around people much....

what to do??? any ideas, suggestions....me and Gizzie need your help. :shock:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
going through puberty? hormonal changes ? needs to be castrated? where you holding him?

paris and cosmo dare to nip too but only when people try to touch them the wrong way......they think it's small and harmless ,but you have to handle them thesame as a dobermann ....careful and with respect.

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering too if it might be hormonal. He's been getting increasingly more aggressive/macho for a couple of weeks now...also he has been showing signs of marking etc.

Oh and yes I was holding him Nat.

As soon as my job starts he will be getting fixed. Around Mid August, he'll be 6 months then.

It's just so strange how it has come suddenly about. I caution people, and tell them not to touch his head (for some reason people always go for the head, he hates you touching his head..) I was just so embarassed today, since Giz is not aggressive (only with the vet, LOL)

ayyy little Gizmo is gonna give me gray hairs...LOL :roll:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've had a simliar situation with Cooper since he was about 8 months old. He met a dog while we were at the coffee shop and instantly attacked it! I was shocked because he had never shown signs of aggressive behavior, other than play stuff as a puppy. Turned out, the dog was "mentally handicapped" due to problems at birth so he just wasn't right. I brushed the whole thing off as Cooper realizing the dog wasn't "right".

A few weeks later, we saw the owner of the dog and Cooper attacked her. I figured he smelled her dog and it just triggered that response.

Now, there are 2 dogs that he will bite and snap at if they come close to him. Both are more dominant dogs and (in my opinion) not very smart - Cooper will jump on both of them and defend himself and me. He's not that way with any other animals except those two dogs ... and the retarded dog when we see him.

It's almost as if he's offended by stupidity. He definitely gets that from me. :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have had chis that didn't like strangers as well as those who never met a stranger. I always figured it was just the personality of the dog. Anyway, i prefer that my chis are leary of strangers because people will steal a chi in a heartbeat, but an unfriendly one...maybe a thief would bypass. A couple years ago, someone stole every chi my mom owned right out of her fenced back yard. There were 5 chis, i believe. It was so upsetting for mom.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I would suggest the neutering too but you already have that in the works. :wink:

Buster isn't aggresive really at all but when I am holding him, he is very protective. Not really with biting or barking but where he will take the attention away from me, focus it on himself. It's only when I am holding him, so I know it's just with me. Strange little guy, thinks I am HIS HUMAN and HIS ALONE! :lol:

Mr. Peepers has recently started being aggresive with Buster and it's really frustrating. When they play he starts to be mean. They always got along great from day one, so I don't know what his problem is now. :?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Would have to agree - Gizmo is getting to the age where his hormones are kicking in. :lol: And, as Nat said, if you are holding them I think they tend to be more likely to get defensive. I've had a couple of chis in the past that were sweet as little angels normally. But, let someone try to approach them when I was holding them and watch out...but I don't think that's aggression, that's just their protective instinct kicking in.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. I would wait and see if the neutering helps.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
he is in dog adolesence and which is between 5-8 months old, they start regressing in training, and forget a lot of what they know, they start nipping barking regress in house training all that is typical, you just have to keep reinforcing it so it does not become a new habit,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts