Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if this is a stage? My little macho man used to eat like a horse...gobbled up his food...for about a week now he isn't really interested in food...could this be the beginning of a finicky eater? :shock:

I'm not really worried, becuase he does eat...it's just a little amount compared to what he used to eat...he ate more when he was tiny!! He is very active..bowel movements good...he used to eat at 7 am....then whatever was left over I left out for him to finish...now he doesn't want to eat at 7...we woke up at 10 and he ate maybe 5 pebbles...and has been picking at his breakfast since...like...I am sooo bored with this food..Also it is about 92 here so...the heat could be getting to him? I have AC inside, hmmm...

I don't want a repeat of my toy poodle who doesn't like anything because we kept switching his food..and he is King of the finicky eaters

Ayyy Gizmo... :roll:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard the older they get sometimes they don't eat as much also maybe try setting a time limit on how long he can eat. A book I just finished said to only allow 15mins a time and after 15min pick up the bowl and put it away. After a little while he will realize if he doesn't eat now he wont get anything. And it is always good to give your dog fresh food each time so if you want to save any left over food in the bowl I would suggest covering it so it stays fresh.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmm...I'm not sure if this is a stage but sometimes Snap doesn't eat in his usual way. I wouldn't worry about it too much and would considered keeping him on his same eating schedule. Maybe the heat did get to him, but if not I would ask your vet if your worried about his eating patterns. sorry I couldn't help much but good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
510 Posts
My baby has been a pickey eater with her food also. Sometimes she will just ear a few than other times she just won't eat unless I am in the room with her. To solve this I found that she enjoys the wet food in her same brand puppy food. I will mix a little bit of the dry food with the wet food. and smoosh them together so the wet sticks to the dry. Unfourtinately this could be a perminate solution. Sometimes I will alternate the wet/dry with just dry and she eats it, I guess because she is use to eating a lot of the wet/dry and likes having a full tummy. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vanessa said:
My baby has been a pickey eater with her food also. Sometimes she will just ear a few than other times she just won't eat unless I am in the room with her. To solve this I found that she enjoys the wet food in her same brand puppy food. I will mix a little bit of the dry food with the wet food. and smoosh them together so the wet sticks to the dry. Unfourtinately this could be a perminate solution. Sometimes I will alternate the wet/dry with just dry and she eats it, I guess because she is use to eating a lot of the wet/dry and likes having a full tummy. I hope this helps.
I think he is just bored.....I don't free feed...but lately I have just been leaving the bowel out because of course, I am a neurotic chi mom, and I worry about his sugar levels..so I let him pick at it...

The change is kinda drastic...I mean he used to eat so much!! But he has no signs of being sick...so maybe like I said it's a stage...or boredom... :wink: I just want him to eat normally again....

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
They will go thru fussy stages, dont worry and stay consistent. Give Nutrical to make sure nutrion requiremnets are met :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts