Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a question concerning chicken gizzards and hearts...I am planning on grinding them together (like a hamburger mix) and using as a muscle meat. Is this correct? They are considered muscle not organ meat??:confused:Thx:)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, they are muscle meat. You are correct! :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are muscle meat. You are correct! :)
Thx...now, planning on freezing mix in 1lb increments. I plan on feeding @ breakfast (they feed 2x day) since this is when I use poultry (beef/venison in evening). This amount will last me 2-4 days depending on how many dogs I am feeding that day (hubby's 2 are only here on weekends). Would this mix be too rich to feed several days in a row? I would alter it then with gr chicken or turkey.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Your dogs will tell you if it's too rich or not. Some can handle hearts with no problem, for others they get looser stools.

So you are feeding all ground meats? Do you do whole pieces at all? How are you doing calcium - are you grinding the bones as well?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your dogs will tell you if it's too rich or not. Some can handle hearts with no problem, for others they get looser stools.

So you are feeding all ground meats? Do you do whole pieces at all? How are you doing calcium - are you grinding the bones as well?
Yes, grinding bones. Got in the habit when I had 2 previous gorgers (a sheltie & greyhound). I know it's not best, but so much cleaner for me with them all over the furniture. I do ground for the meats too. I add my egg shell powder (boy, I could be a professional grinder-lol) to the meat for extra calcium, but they do get ground ck necks every day. I also grind the liver as they won't eat it diced! I am now experimenting with tripe from my butcher--he's saving the next cow for me (gosh know's how much tripe that will produce!). I give Bully sticks and some rawhides regularly and on weekends before baths (1-2x month) they all get knuckle bones for as long as they want.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, grinding bones. Got in the habit when I had 2 previous gorgers (a sheltie & greyhound). I know it's not best, but so much cleaner for me with them all over the furniture. I do ground for the meats too. I add my egg shell powder (boy, I could be a professional grinder-lol) to the meat for extra calcium, but they do get ground ck necks every day. I also grind the liver as they won't eat it diced! I am now experimenting with tripe from my butcher--he's saving the next cow for me (gosh know's how much tripe that will produce!). I give Bully sticks and some rawhides regularly and on weekends before baths (1-2x month) they all get knuckle bones for as long as they want.
Ok - sounds good! I just have heard of people thinking the raw diet was just ground beef from the grocery store. That is soooooo unhealthy! Sounds like you are doing everything right.

My guess is that they will LOVE the tripe! Most dogs just adore it. You could mix in cardboard with tripe and Brody would eat it. He loves it. It's great for organ mixes or meats they may not particularly like.

Do you have a professional grinder? I have seen some neat ones on the net that make it look easy. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - sounds good! I just have heard of people thinking the raw diet was just ground beef from the grocery store. That is soooooo unhealthy! Sounds like you are doing everything right.

My guess is that they will LOVE the tripe! Most dogs just adore it. You could mix in cardboard with tripe and Brody would eat it. He loves it. It's great for organ mixes or meats they may not particularly like.

Do you have a professional grinder? I have seen some neat ones on the net that make it look easy. :)
Yes, I love my grinder! You can look it up under Great Northern Tools. It's the Kitchener #12. It might be listed as great northern now though. It has multiple grinding blades so you can choose how fine/course you want your grub:) It is so easy. I buy in bulk (in fact I just got 40lbs of hearts!!), and make an afternoon of grinding, that way all is done for quite awhile & I just pluck from the freezer as needed:D I'm excited to get the tripe, it will be so nice to change it up with the liver---and I've never tried kidney.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does tripe count as organ or meat? I've seen it at the store and gave it serious consideration but then chickened out because it looked so gross and I wasn't sure that I wanted to actually touch the stuff! If you all (and your dogs) think so highly of it maybe I'll give it a try after all.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tripe is muscle meat. Not organ. Even though it is the stomach of the cow. It is relatively low protein and low phosphorus so it's great for dogs with kidney problems. Most dogs just love it because it smells so stinky!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tripe is considered muscle meat, but only a little at a time as it is pretty powerful from what I've been told! The tripe you buy in the store isn't the one you want though. It has been processed where the "goodie" is gone. You want green tripe with all the nutrients still present. You need to get this from a butcher, or online. Grocery's don't carry it to my knowledge. Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG...ground the gizzards and hearts today and WHAT A HIT!!! They went crazy for it:D mixed it with a bit of chicken neck and will now wait for the "output". Hope it sets as well as it went down;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
tripe is considered muscle meat, but only a little at a time as it is pretty powerful from what I've been told! The tripe you buy in the store isn't the one you want though. It has been processed where the "goodie" is gone. You want green tripe with all the nutrients still present. You need to get this from a butcher, or online. Grocery's don't carry it to my knowledge. Hope this helps!:)
Here's a pic of what green tripe looks like. It's kind of repulsive. ha.

OMG...ground the gizzards and hearts today and WHAT A HIT!!! They went crazy for it:D mixed it with a bit of chicken neck and will now wait for the "output". Hope it sets as well as it went down;)
I would think it would work great! Let us know how it goes! :hello1:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we are laughing at how big this tripe is going to be that the butcher is saving for us! How much do you feed and how often? I know a little goes a long way and was planning on maybe a teaspoon or less a day???:confused:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh gosh - are you getting the WHOLE thing?! Make room in the freezer!!! ha ha! It's great though. Tripe is a great meat and has enzymes, etc. that are very good for dogs. And they LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If I were you - I'd put it through the grinder. Not a fine grind - do a larger calibre grind so that you keep some of the rubbery consistency. Then I'd bag it up into ziplocks and freeze. Then just thaw a ziplock and divvy it out occasionally. It's especially good for disguising something they don't want to eat, that you want them to have. Whether that's fish or a certain meat or organ that they don't particularly like. Brody will eat ANYTHING if it's mixed with tripe.

When Brody is lucky enough to have it, he gets about a teaspoon or so mixed with something else. I've never fed it as a whole meal, although I know some people who do.

Oh gosh, when you get it, you'll have to post pictures!!!! Can't wait! :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

LOL,LOL,LOL!:eek: this was after crying 1st:( Gave a full meal of the gizzard/heart combo last night and forgot to add the chicken necks....:(:(:(Yep the BIG D got me x5 (the border collie too). What a disaster this morning...my own fault though. I'll know better next time...doesn't pay to be distracted or in a hurry at meal time;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts