Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, only one. and its HUGE. It seems to have grown out of nowhere.

will it be a normal spay with one undecended testical, or more complicated?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
How old is he? When are you planning on neutering him?
Have you consulted your vet about it?
Mine did not neuter Rocky until both testicles were descended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is 6 months or so. I planned on neutering him and the cat with tax returns in a month or two. no i havnt talked to a vet about it (they charge 30 bucks just to talk to one.... not a fan of the animal health system...).

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Charlie had an undescended testicle. I waited til he was eight months old but it never did come down. I was afraid to wait any longer because I was afraid he would start lifting his leg when he peed. The vet said it wasn't a problem, it's just more like hwving a female dog spayedd because they have to go up in the abdomen. Charlie did fine.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
In that case I say wait until 8 months, if they both don't drop by then the vet will need to
retrieve the missing one, which is a process you want to avoid if possible. But leaving it
there it may turn cancerous.

But you could also sneak in a question about this at your vaccine appointment,
unless they are all done already... then try calling, some vets will answer phone
questions.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yes, it needs to come out eventually. I had also heard about the possibility of cancer. I forgot to mention that the cost was about the same as having a female dog spayed. I also waited a bit before having it done because he had some retained baby teeth I was hoping would come out. They didn't so I had them removed at the same time. The vet didn't even charge for those because they came out so easy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I buy the vaccines and give them myself. Only times my babies see a vet is when they first come home (1st vet visit), neutered, and if they get sick and its more then natural remedies can handle.

By the time we are ready to neuter, he should be at about 7-8 months. If he has to go get it, I guess he has to get it. I was a bit shocked when I saw it today. He must have went into puberty over night!!!!

I have read about cancer too, so it will come out. I just was hoping it would drop on its own. I hate to see them go through more then needed :(

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Yes, it needs to come out eventually. I had also heard about the possibility of cancer. I forgot to mention that the cost was about the same as having a female dog spayed. I also waited a bit before having it done because he had some retained baby teeth I was hoping would come out. They didn't so I had them removed at the same time. The vet didn't even charge for those because they came out so easy.
I can understand that since it's not a regular easy breezy snip clip type of thing
the cost of surgery is higher. Glad your pup didn't have complications. I got so
lucky with Rocky they both finally dropped, but for a while there they were
playing hide and seek, lol, one would drop, one would hide, and then they
switch, oh the headache! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Gizmo's mom try to not worry until there is need for it, there is still time for the second to drop. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol ^^^^^^

the gopher smack game popped into my head reading that!!

its only the one with gizzy. the other is like it never existed.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Reggie only had one decended when I found him. He was about 5-6 years old already. I get them done at a low cost spay/neuter place and because they had to go looking for it, they charged me $20 extra. We did have a problen in that his incision got infected, but it was the scrotal incision, not the abdominal one. After we got that cleared up, he was fine.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had Axle done just a few weeks ago at 5 months with a retained testicle. There was absolutely no sign of it so the vet said it was probably not in a spot where it was going to come out by its self. He was absolutely fine, it was sitting up beside the base of his wee wee, all he needed was just an extra little incision, only about 3 extra stitches. I wouldn't be too concerned, vets deal with this stuff all the time, I'm sure Gizmo will be fine and I wouldn't let it keep you from getting him done whenever you feel the time is right.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think Gucci only has 1 descended testicle too
But since I haven't spayed him I wouldn't know much about it

·
Banned
177 Posts
Neutering a cryptoorchid is more invasive than a normal neuter depending where in the abdomen the other testicle is. The risk of cancer is significantly higher in cryptoorchids. It is also hereditary so these dogs should definitely not be bred from and their breeders should be informed so they can change their breeding programme.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called the store I got him from, and told them about it. They have a 1 yr health guarantee against hereditary defects and will cover costs for treatment for anything found. I am waiting for a call from the owner tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts