Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I was just wondering its only 3 weeks to go untill i bring my baby home Sooooooooo excited, anyway i know chis have small bones so am wondering inf i should be giving her a supplement?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Congrats !
You shouldn't have to give her Glucosomine per se.
I used it with an older dog, but unless there is a physical problem diagnosed with your Chi, I don't think it's necessary.

Find a vet you like and can trust ( if you haven't already ) and talk to her about it...that's always the best source of info for your specific dog.
;)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new little one. :) I agree with the above. You shouldn't have to give glucosomine unless there is an existing limb issue (luxating patellas and so forth) or until they are older and old age and the potential for arthritis starts to creep in.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
As has been said, they don't really "need" to have a glucosamine supplement unless they have a condition requiring it. However it certainly couldn't hurt to supplement at all. Usually older dogs get supplements as they age because of the natural wear on joints from age, arthritis, etc. I start supplementing my dogs with joint support before they reach their senior years to keep their joints in good shape. Even dogs with no special issues will have normal wear on the joints just from normal activity and a little extra support throughout their life never hurt anyone. My holistic vet, nutritionist, and myself believe in preventative diets, supplementation and treatment which is why I like to start my dogs on joint support supplements by the time they are around 5 years old as a preventative measure. Our one Chi has been diagnosed with Luxating Patella so she gets additional joint support for that. With a healthy dog that does not have joint problems necessitating glucosamine supplementation it is really a personal decision whether or not to supplement but it certainly is not required by any means.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts