Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else here has a Gluten Intolerance or Celiac Disease? I've been Gluten Free for 4 months now. I was having stomache problems, headaches, anxiety, back spasms, and a few other issues. So I decided to go gluten free to see if that was my problem after talking to someone with Celiac Disease.

Anyway just curious!;)

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
I don't have it, but it sure does sound very annoying and frustrating.
I hope you are able to manage it somehow. Have you seen improvement
since going gluten free?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I had (HAD I HOPE) IBS but i'm on Symprove good bacteria in liquid form ,have taken it for 2 months now and i feel so much better,no stomach ache,now all i need to do is try a food i know used to upset my stomach,but that won't be for a while yet.Have you been to the doctor and had any tests ?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definetly feel better since going GF!! I've need been tested since you can't after you've quit gluten. Not worth going back on just for a test plus a lot of false negatives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Everyone is gluten intolerant, just some more than others. Everyone will be better off gluten free. Some get IBS and celiac. Others get cancer and heart disease later in life. But none of us are "okay" with grains.

Hubby and I follow the Primal Blueprint. Check out Mark Sisson's blog at MarksDailyApple.com :)

Oh, and if you haven't already, "Wheat Belly" is a great read.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone is gluten intolerant, just some more than others. Everyone will be better off gluten free. Some get IBS and celiac. Others get cancer and heart disease later in life. But none of us are "okay" with grains.

Hubby and I follow the Primal Blueprint. Check out Mark Sisson's blog at MarksDailyApple.com :)

Thanks I'll check them out!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts

Definitely makes sense.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My hubby has just been diagnosed with fructose malabsorbtion :( He has to cut out lots of fruit and veg plus wheat, rye and a lot of dairy (most things except hard cheese). In the next few weeks he will be seeing a nutritionist to get a meal plan and then I will have to shop for it and cook it - not looking forward to it, it sounds really hard :( Don't know how you guys do it, most of the glueten free products are yuk! I want to do it with him to support him but i'm sure I will cheat when he's not around. Hope it works for him, he has been having GI symptoms for about 6 years now...

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
He has my sympathy,so many people have trouble these days,i'm sure it's all the muck they put in food,my daughters husband is a vegetarian so it's extra hard for him to find things he can eat,she googles lots of recipes and once you get into it,it's not so bad but very boring for him

·
Registered
206 Posts
My hubby has just been diagnosed with fructose malabsorbtion :( He has to cut out lots of fruit and veg plus wheat, rye and a lot of dairy (most things except hard cheese). In the next few weeks he will be seeing a nutritionist to get a meal plan and then I will have to shop for it and cook it - not looking forward to it, it sounds really hard :( Don't know how you guys do it, most of the glueten free products are yuk! I want to do it with him to support him but i'm sure I will cheat when he's not around. Hope it works for him, he has been having GI symptoms for about 6 years now...
May I suggest, go to Mark's Daily Apple and check out his blog and the forum. Lots of great folks in the forum, and Primal eating is inherently gluten free. It is so easy and pleasant once you adapt to it. I would never, ever go back.

The fruits are a tough one (berries and cherries especially, which are the most nutritious) but some of the "veggies" which he probably has to cut out aren't really veggies. Like corn. If you can make a syrup out of a vegetable, chances are it isn't a vegetable. ;) You will learn all these as you guys go along.

See if he is allowed Kefir on his diet. If he likes plain yogurt, he will like Kefir. It will begin to replenish the good bacteria in his gut, which is likely all out of whack now. If he won't eat Kefir, he needs a good probiotic supplement.

Shopping for gluten free all natural eating is easy: Buy lots of fresh meat (beef, lamb, venison, pork, chicken) and lots of allowed veggies. Buy a little of the fruits he is allowed to eat. Use animal fats (butter, lard), coconut oil, and olive oil for cooking.

Stay away from all wheat, corn, and other grains. Stay away from margarine and all high polyunsaturated fat oils like canola, sunflower, vegetable, etc. Stay away from artificial sweeteners.

Don't get caught up in all the gluten free junk food. It is still junk food.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I haven't been to a doc but i have had horrible bloating and nausea, headaches like everyday. I started dieting on march 5 (Atkins) which i've done before and I feel SOOOO much better. Everytime i do atkins my symptoms go away which leads me to believe i'm gluten intolerant. On atkins all you can eat in the first phase of the diet is meats, cheese, and veggies. No bread, no sugar, no fruit. Fruit and nuts are incorporated later into the plan though. I've lost 4 lbs already in 9 days. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i have IBS and have to soon try this diet to see if thats the problem , can you tell me how costly it is? and how you found what to eat? thanks x
The low FODMAPS diet is what my husband is starting in a few weeks after he has a bunch more tests. If you google it you will find a fair bit of info and you can buy a cookbook. It's recommended for people with Fructose Malabsorption and IBS. It basically cuts out foods that feed bacteria in your gut that produce gas and cause GI issues.

some of the "veggies" which he probably has to cut out aren't really veggies
No, it's most veggies actually. No onion, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, carrot, avocado... the list goes on and on. Most fruit except berries and citrus are out too.

I haven't been to a doc but i have had horrible bloating and nausea, headaches like everyday
Sounds exactly like what my husband has had for about 6 years, very debilitating, poor you! It could be coeliac or lactose intolerance or fructose malabsorption. You should probably get yourself checked out so you don't cut out things that you don't need to, it's a very limited diet so you may as well be eating everything you're allowed. The fructose malabsorption test is only a breath test, but the coeliac test is an endoscope - not fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm celiac so I can help you with questions / and which gluten free foods tastes the best! example udis bread and pizzas are the best tasting, glutinos verison of oreo cookies are almost identical..All of my pets (2 dogs, 2 cats) eat gf also, along with my husband (who isnt celiac) because I dont allow gluten in our house except canned soup my husband takes and makes at work
I'm happy to answer any questions from symptoms, gf food, what foods seem harmless but is dangerous for celiacs,anything!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I do not have celiac, but, I have been gluten free since January (pretty much). I will try not to make this too long, but. . .

I'd been feeling bloated, miserable, irritable, constipated! So, I did some investigating on the web. I want to fore warn - you really have to be extremely careful when searching for info! I did tons of it! Is I decided to try eliminating anything with gluten. After about 4-6 weeks I felt better. I couldn't even bend over to tie my shoes, I felt like I couldn't bend at my waist. So after awhile, I tried something with wheat - no go, felt bloated and I'd been having lots of heartburn and indigestion!

Around April I decided to attempt to resolve my constipation issue with my PCP. (It is so hard to find competent doctors!) she sent me to a gastroenterologist. She, the gastro, ended up doing a breath test, endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy! My results: I have SIBO, IBS-C, diverticular, and rectal prolapse, no celiac according to her. But she didn't even mention my rectal prolapse!! A nurse practioner did while checking out another issue! It was so apparent, she couldn't miss it! Trust me on that one! Now for her final summation after all her testing, this is a good one. . .continue taking the purple pill for indigestion (I said it doesnt really work very well) and heartburn, use a fleet enema for when I am constipated (which is daily - I told her i didnt think so) and see a nutritionist ( I had originally thought that might help, but now, no!)

So here's what I've done. I found something online for my heartburn and indigestion. It's called PepZin GI. It's zinc and L-carnosine, it really works! It's been used in Japan since 1994 and you really can't overdose! I am still working on the IBS-C part. I've read about magnesium supplements, not magnesium oxide. They seem to help but have a nasty side effect - flatulence! :rolleyes:

I have not been good with keeping gluten free last week because I felt good and thought maybe gluten wasn't an issue! But now I am paying for it in constipation! So, I don't know how long it's going to take me to get back to where I was! Part of why I did it was because I did not buy gluten free products, I just didn't eat anything with flour or sugar! Consequently I lost a substantial amount of weight and the doc said if I lost any more she wanted to do an MRI. I said no MRI, I know why I'm losing weight. I'm afraid to eat too much! Oh, she had also done a CAT scan of my stomach! I'm done with testing!! :foxes15: Doctors don't believe you know your body!

But as far as going gluten free, I think it's great! Good for you! I don't think everyone should do it! However, for us as a population, to reduce our intake of processed foods should make such a difference in our society! We check our dogs food for chemicals and preservatives, but not our own!

Sorry for being so long, but it is a frustrating topic for me, but I love to share and get as much info as I can on it!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh my goodness it's as if i'm reading my son in laws treatment he had all that done all the meds etc etc,he researched and thought he'd try lactose free,he's never felt better but as soon as he touches something that has been near milk he's back to square one.Have you tried cutting out milk as well ? he's on Alpro.He also just has fruit and vegetables as his lunch (nothing else ) but has 1 main meal in the evening.It's a terrible thing to go through,i have food intolerance so i stick to a bland diet

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Its amazing how many people out there have some sort of intolerance to foods! In my search for comfort, I found that we have processed our flours, sugars, etc so much, that our bodies aren't really meant for the change! The closer to natural that we eat, the better off we all will be. But I'm not ready to go raw!!

I'm surprised how many doctors out there push fuits and vegetables, and water, for people with constipation. Their first priority should be to find out what is causing the constipation! If it is a motility problem, then putting more fiber in the intestines isn't going to make it move better!!:foxes15:

My take on gluten free is to just avoid it and not buy the commercial products! They too are loaded with additives, fats and sugar to make them more paletable. As an example, if I make an egg on english muffin for hubby, I will put mine on a corn tortilla! It's surprising what you get used to! For pasta, you can substitute with rice noodles. Occasionally we make bean burritos. I just put the beans and my fixings over corn chips!

Munchii, I know what you mean about the anorexia, I think! When I started to get all the testing, I weighed about 114lbs. That was in April. By mid July I was at 101lbs. You reach a point at which you are afraid to eat! I won't eat the commercial gluten free products.

I fell back into eating gluten last week because everyone kept telling me I can't lose any more weight! Now, I am paying for it! I am done with gluten! My weight will eventually stabilize! Besides, I like being this weight! It's a little more than I was when we got married 44 years ago!;)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Another coeliac here. I've been gluten free since finding out at the start of 2010. I had anemia on and off since I was a kid as well as being very underweight and other problems... yet doctors never tested me for this. :rolleyes: I moved to the UK and became quite ill when I was 20... feeling sick all the time and bloated, chronic fatigue and migraines, joint and muscle pain, etc. One of my arm even started going numb, like I couldn't feel it or move it properly at times which I later found out was neuropathy. That went on for 6 years until a doctor finally tested me for Celiac. I feel so much better now that I'm gluten free.

There are so many people who have celiac disease, a gluten intolerance or sensitivity without knowing it!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Its amazing how many people out there have some sort of intolerance to foods! In my search for comfort, I found that we have processed our flours, sugars, etc so much, that our bodies aren't really meant for the change! The closer to natural that we eat, the better off we all will be. But I'm not ready to go raw!!
I completely agree! I have actually tried to go raw for a while, but it's too complicated and restrictive. lol Sometimes I go semi-raw for a while which is more doable and gives great results too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts