Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mizmo is over a year old now. We have been trying to litter train him from the beginning. The thing is if he is gated on the hard kitchen floor, he will go in his litter box. However, as soon as he gets on the carpet, he never goes over to the box, always on the floor. Our carpet is beyond help; with the smell. I know that is probably one of the problems but I don't know what to do about it and I just don't understand why he seems like he gets it until we let him loose. I want him to be a normal dog that we can let free in our house but he is impossible to catch when he starts peeing. He's too fast and even if you catch him, he just pees everywhere. He doesn't stop. Oh well, I'm babbling on, but any help would be greatly appreciated. We ate training our new puppy to go outside so I don't know how we are ever going to get both of them trained. Please help!!! lol. :oops:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Is Mizmo neutered? If not, he could be marking more than he is peeing. Chico used to do the same thing. He is trained to go to the door when he has to go potty. He is not neutered and is a little over a year old. What could be happening is Mizmo could be smelling a part of the carpet that doesn't have his scent on it yet, so he lifts his legs and marks there.

I would try steam cleaning your carpet (for the smell...use a cleaner specific for pet stains and odors) you could keep trying to train him not to pee/mark on the carpet, but if all else fails, i'd try talking to your vet to see what can be done about it. Maybe neutering him will be the only way to correct the habit. I don't recommend any of the sprays that claim to keep animals from going to the bathroom in certain spots. My friend tried a whole bunch of them to keep her cat from spraying, but they didn't work. They just smelled really, really bad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If the carpets are that bad you need to have a professional company come in and clean them with their industrial strength pet shampoo's. You may not smell urine on them but he can and if you can smell it, then he certainly will want to pee there again!

Buy yourself a long lead and when you let him loose make sure you have this lead attached to him via his collar or a harness. Let him do as he pleases but watch him carefully. If you see him peeing, give a little tug on the lead and yell "no". Pick him up and either take him to his potty box or outside. If he's attached to you, he won't have the opportunity to run away. You will never correct the problem if you don't catch him in the act. With repeated warnings for peeing on the carpet, he should get with the program.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of the lead. I know having him attached to you or someone in your family might not be an ideal situation, but it may be the only way to train him. If you can't have him with you, keep him crated or in his enclosed area in the kitchen.

I haven't had a male dog in some years, but I remember how difficult it was to train the last one I had. Neutering did help with the marking. I think some are just more difficult to train than others.

Good luck -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts