Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stella HATES water. It's been pretty rainy here, and she just absolutely does not want to do her business outside. Because of this, she had several accidents inside yesterday.

What can I do? I tried using an umbrella over her, but she didn't care much for that.
I'd prefer not using potty pads because her house training has been super iffy lately, so I don't want to encourage any kind of pottying in the house.

Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Rocky hates rain and when he sees it's raining he will just stand in the door and not make a move outside. I just pick him up and start walking. Eventually he will follow me even though he still won't like it. Once he has realized he has no choice he will walk normally and will do his business as well.

So I would just behave like it's totally normal to have walks in the rain. I am sure she will eventually do her business. If you however make a big deal out of it and showing her that you really don't like rain either and she should hurry up, then I am sure she will never do it (not saying that you are but I am sure if you don't like rain she won't like it either).

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie also hates the rain. She will go out, but really doesn't like it. She's pee pad trained though. Do you have a yard? Could you cover a little patch of grass or something? We bought Odie a little rain coat, though I doubt it will help much.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I should also add that I know someone who doesn't have a yard, so she puts a pee pad on her balcony for her chi to use. Then technically he's still going outside and doesn't associate pads with going indoors. If you have an area that's covered outside, might be an idea if you're not totally opposed to pee pads in general.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rocky hates rain and when he sees it's raining he will just stand in the door and not make a move outside. I just pick him up and start walking. Eventually he will follow me even though he still won't like it. Once he has realized he has no choice he will walk normally and will do his business as well.

So I would just behave like it's totally normal to have walks in the rain. I am sure she will eventually do her business. If you however make a big deal out of it and showing her that you really don't like rain either and she should hurry up, then I am sure she will never do it (not saying that you are but I am sure if you don't like rain she won't like it either).
I do tend to get frustrated, so that probably doesn't do her any good.
She'll follow me out, but then she'll hide under my deck. I suppose that I'll keep walking through the yard next time so she'll follow me out. :)

Odie also hates the rain. She will go out, but really doesn't like it. She's pee pad trained though. Do you have a yard? Could you cover a little patch of grass or something? We bought Odie a little rain coat, though I doubt it will help much.

I should also add that I know someone who doesn't have a yard, so she puts a pee pad on her balcony for her chi to use. Then technically he's still going outside and doesn't associate pads with going indoors. If you have an area that's covered outside, might be an idea if you're not totally opposed to pee pads in general.
Yup, I have a yard. Hm, I'll have to see about covering an area. What could I use, do you think?
Huh, that's pretty clever! Unfortunately, I don't have an area like that, but that something I'll definitely utilize when I move into an apartment with her in a few months!

Thank you both for the suggestions!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would just be persistent if you do not want her to use pads (I wouldn't recommend them anyways if you want her really only pottying outside). Treat her like a puppy. Let her out to go potty and wait 10 minutes. If she won't go, let her back in and confine her somewhere, maybe to a pen or room and keep an eye on her and then take her back out in another 30 minutes. If you see her getting ready to go, take her outside immediately and give her the potty command. She will figure it out eventually, it's just going to take a bit of persistence and patience on your end. I know, it's a pain having to watch her like she's a puppy, I just had to do the same with Gemma with a little potty training relapse, but it will pay off and you will feel very accomplished and proud of your girl.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I started training Angel so that when his leash is on him and he is in the backyard, it's time for business. My husband still likes to just let him out the door!:mad: But when its raining, I do like Sabine said, just walk out with him naturally. Of course he resisted the first few times, but now he just comes, on his leash, and we stay out for a bit, If he doesn't do anything, I bring him back inside, wait a minute or two and then back out. It's going to be unpleasant when the cold gets here, but, we'll see!

Try putting a leash on him for his time to do business and see if it works any better!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haru hates rain because she hates getting wet. I would try a rain coat or maybe even as ridiculous as doggy shoes. But if that doesn't work then I would just resort to keeping a place in the yard dry at all times and bring her there with a leash every time, even when it's not rainy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would just be persistent if you do not want her to use pads (I wouldn't recommend them anyways if you want her really only pottying outside). Treat her like a puppy. Let her out to go potty and wait 10 minutes. If she won't go, let her back in and confine her somewhere, maybe to a pen or room and keep an eye on her and then take her back out in another 30 minutes. If you see her getting ready to go, take her outside immediately and give her the potty command. She will figure it out eventually, it's just going to take a bit of persistence and patience on your end. I know, it's a pain having to watch her like she's a puppy, I just had to do the same with Gemma with a little potty training relapse, but it will pay off and you will feel very accomplished and proud of your girl.
Man, back to basics with this girl. :foxes15: She's been having so many relapses lately. But I know we'll get there someday!
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I started training Angel so that when his leash is on him and he is in the backyard, it's time for business. My husband still likes to just let him out the door!:mad: But when its raining, I do like Sabine said, just walk out with him naturally. Of course he resisted the first few times, but now he just comes, on his leash, and we stay out for a bit, If he doesn't do anything, I bring him back inside, wait a minute or two and then back out. It's going to be unpleasant when the cold gets here, but, we'll see!

Try putting a leash on him for his time to do business and see if it works any better!
Huh, neat suggestion. Thanks, I may have to try that!! It'll for sure keep her from hiding under the deck, lol. ;)

Haru hates rain because she hates getting wet. I would try a rain coat or maybe even as ridiculous as doggy shoes. But if that doesn't work then I would just resort to keeping a place in the yard dry at all times and bring her there with a leash every time, even when it's not rainy.
Hehe, didn't know they even made doggy rain boots!! She'd probably spend the whole time trying to shake them off, lol. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I think I'll have to find some way to keep something dry for her. My high maintenance little pup!
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.