Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to see my puppy for the first time this Sunday they will be six weeks and then I go back at 8 weeks to pick it out and then at 10 wks i can bring it home! Any advice as to what to look for when I go for my first visit?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi how are you it's Regina. Anyways I heard to not pick the one that's the most timid, the one that's in the corner not playing with his/her brothers and sisters. But I don't know I just went with my heart, and turns out Seiah is perfect!!! Congrats, and hope to see some pics soon.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't really know how to go about picking chi's, but I did pick the one that was the runt of the litter. She was the shy one not playing with her brothers/sisters. But Dixie now at 13 weeks is a bundle of joy! I love her to death! She is definitely NOT shy. All it took for her was time and that's what I gave her. I think the shy/timid ones just need more love. :wink: But anyway, pick the one that suits you best! If you want the shy one, go with it. If you like the playful one, go get that one. It's all up to you. Don't let me or anyone else tell you what to/not to get! Good luck and have pictures ready when you get your little furbaby!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I agree w/ the other ladies- pick the one that pulls at your heartstings. :D And of course, let us know how it went!! :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Tons of pictures!
You will know which one is for you, but like Seiah said try very hard not to pick the shy quiet one. You want one that is social, who is well balanced temperment wise. You dont want the one who is totally agressive but you dont want the one who hides from you. But again you will know which pup will be yours!
Best of luck! Have you picked a name yet?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My best advice would be to spend some time with each puppy seperate this way you can tell each ones personality seperate. Check her shyness easy scaredness and timied little fellows.

Our worst thing is taking the frist cute one to come along which works well to..LOL but I don't advice it once you see that one that melts your heart you will know.

My chihuahua baby was a spur of the moment I didn't even look at her siblings as soon as I saw her it was love she was the one for me. Noone could tell me any thing different :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Im not trying to say which one you should get. But i have to agree with Regina. I have read and had advice over the years over and over again not to go for the timid one in the corner. Yes it might be shyness, but then again it may be a sign of other things. Check the pups for runny eyes/bottoms and take note of what the condition where there living is like. Dont buy to rescue one out of a bad situation it can end in heartache. It certainly did for me. :cry:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
MsStephanie said:
I don't really know how to go about picking chi's, but I did pick the one that was the runt of the litter. She was the shy one not playing with her brothers/sisters. But Dixie now at 13 weeks is a bundle of joy! I love her to death! She is definitely NOT shy. All it took for her was time and that's what I gave her. I think the shy/timid ones just need more love. :wink:
I always seem to gravitate toward the shy ones too... and I've never regretted it. I'm always afraid the shy ones might be left behind with no one to love them. I'm such a sap that way but it sure has worked well for me. I wouldn't have Lily if she hadn't been so pitiful looking. :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
check the ears, they should be clean and basically smell free. check their coats for patches of baldness, redness irritation, possible fleas, check their tushies and try to notice any feces in the area, just watch and look out for diarrhea, also check that they are lively and not lethargic (sleeping is different, when they wake up they are alert if they are lethargic they just don't want to do anything but lay around) also check their eyes for goopy stuff. a watery chi eye is much different than a goopy sick looking eye..... watch out for sneezing, wheezing and shallow breathing....... then when you determine that they are all healthy as can be then pick the one that you feel a certain bond with. you'll see, soon as you look at them that "that's the one for me!"

and bring a camera!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I also read dont chose the shy one - because it may have problems and it only leads to vet bills etc. But the shy ones tend to attract my eye because i feel sorry for them. I think as soon as you set your eyes on one and you will know which one immediately. Keep us posted, pics included please! :wink: :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts