Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to head to Vegas for a weekend. There's a band that I do pictures for that plays Vegas every Friday and Saturday and I want to go and surprise them. I would love to take two of the dogs wih me, I really don't think any motel would take them all. lol I've never taken a dog with me to a motel, those who have, I have a few questions. Can you leave them in the room for a few hours by themselves if the are locked in the bathroom or in their crates? I would only leave them to go to the show for about 3 hours, which is late at night both nights, they will be with me the rest of the time. Do you leave music or the TV on for company? I know to bring crates, food, bowls, pee pads, vacination records. Anything you found that you needed or wished you brought? I'm thinking of bringing Billy and Delilah, Billy is really mellow and not a barker while Delilah is friendly, but hates wheelchairs. I appreciate any input.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You will need to call the hotels ahead of time to find out their pet policies. SOME will allow the dogs to be left inside the room in their crates, but many won't. It always makes finding hotels for dog shows harder because I often need to leave them for a few hours in the evening at shows. That said, mine have been trained to be left in crates in strange places and they don't bark/scream/whine. A perfectly crate trained dog can be totally freaked out by being in a new place by themselves in their crate. So just be aware of that, and know the hotel can cause problems if a dog makes noise or there are complaints.

I bring crates, extra beds/blankets, an x-pen, potty pads, food, water bowls, leashes, harnesses, "high value chewies" to leave in the crates when I leave, and a small card to leave at the front desk with my cell number, where I will be, my room number, and a request that if there are ANY problems with the dogs to please call me immediately.

You MUST bring poo baggies as well, to clean up after your dog. I know that's kind of a "duh" thing but I feel like its worth mentioning anyway.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Also yes, I leave the TV AND Radio on, as well as the fan on the highest setting possible, and a small really loud fan I got at a flea market for "white" noise. That all helps keep the dogs from hearing things they might want to bark at.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I normally take Hershey when we go on vacation. You're right, most hotels/motels would only take 2 dogs total of 50 lbs. Whether they would allow you to leave them alone in the room normally depends on the place. When we went to Orlando, Holiday Inn The Castle allows it as long as they are in their crate. I guess people are expected to leave and go to the parks. I'm thinking the same thing with Vegas as people are expected to play. Call the hotel first and confirm their policy. Try Pet Friendly Hotels in Las Vegas, NV, US to look for pet-friendy hotels.

Don't forget toys!! :) And yes, I leave the TV on as Hershey barks when she hears people walking outside the door. I always request the end room, or farthest to the elevator whenever possible.

Have fun on your trip!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Kristi. How do you train them not to bark/scream/whine in their crates in strange places?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I started by leaving them at friend's houses they didn't know at first. Just while I did errands or whatever. My friends didn't have to do anything but ignore them, and leave them in a closet or room alone in their crate. I always walked them before and made sure they didn't have to potty. After that I started leaving them overnight now and then. They really have all done fine because they have been crate trained since day 1 w/ me.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great, if I had friends up here, I would try it. :) I called the motel, dogs are ok to be left in the room. It's a suite with a living room, kitchen and bedroom. So, since both of them are pee pad trained, I may just leave them in the bedroom with their crates on the floor with the doors open. I'll start by leaving them for a few minutes to see how they do before I leave for hours. Play it by ear.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't know anything about Hotels there so can't offer any advice on that.

Only thing I will say is definitely take your own chewies, I forgot ours last time we went away & had to go buy some from the local shops, the only thing I could get were Shmackos (read "rubbish") and they wouldn't touch them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts