Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know what to do. gypsy just sits there and chews them off in the middle of the night when i'm sleeping. i've gone through at least 5 collars in a month. any ideas on how to get her to stop chewing them off? is it because she's teething? she's only 4 months old

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Leave the collar off at night...that would solve your problem. ;) We don't keep collars on our pups. Only if we're going out & they need their tags.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We do not use collars on the girls either. When going out we use harnesses and have their tags on them. When Pinky was little she managed somehow to get her foot under the collar and in trying to get it off she got it stuck in her mouth. Still have no clue how she did it but luckily I was home to help her.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If she can dip her head down and get her teeth on the collar, it's too loose. I'd just leave them off at night. When she matures and isn't chewing everything, you can train her to leave it alone.

Brody wears a collar all the time, but his is pretty loose. It's more for looks and because it has his tags on it for ID in case he would get out of the house without me. (Fat chance. ha ha) He doesn't bother his at all.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would take them off at night like Mchis said. I had the opposite issue when I had Kizzie as a puppy....she would chew on SHAYLEY'S collar while she was wearing it and tear off all Shayleys flowers and stuff. Before Kizzie I use to buy all the adorable collars with the flowers and roses and little things on the collar. We couldn't buy those no more because Kizzie would tear it up on Shayley....That was when she was a pup though I bet now we could upgrade lol :D

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'd take it off at night like Heather suggested. :) Mine don't wear collars, I keep their tags on their harnesses for when they go out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
She could be teething at that age but she shouldnt be able to get hold of her collar - Either remove it at night, or have it much tighter than you have it now if you feel she has to wear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you everyone for your answers. i just might have to leave the collar off until she's done teething and then putting it back on to see what happens. i have to say that i really think i should leave the collar on during the day. she's so friendly that she'll go to anyone and someone might snatch her up. she's not microchipped yet but she does have an i.d tag on her collar

·
Registered
366 Posts
Lupine Collars have a free replacement policy if they are chewed. Lupinepet.com you can look for someone near you who carries them.

I remember my older dog and his brother went thru this stage. They would chew each others collars off. It didnt last though. He is 14 and wearing a lupine right now.

from their web

LUPINE® products are
GUARANTEED (Even If Chewed)®

We understand the joys and frustrations of pet ownership! Although we can't replace the legs on your kitchen table or your best pair of shoes, we can do our part to help keep your best friend out of the doghouse.

Should anything happen to accidentally damage your Lupine product - including chewing mistakes -

you can try contacting any local Lupine retailers to see if they are able to replace the item for you. Not all retailers offer in-store exchange.

For a Dealer Locator by ZIP code, please go here.

Or simply mail the item to us:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
if someone steals her though the collar won't matter anyone can take it off and buy a new one just saying.

If she got lost then yes the tags would work if someone was honest enough or cared to return her.

I agree with Heather to just leave it off at night you can put it back on during the day when she's supervised or to go outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lupine Collars have a free replacement policy if they are chewed. Lupinepet.com you can look for someone near you who carries them.

I remember my older dog and his brother went thru this stage. They would chew each others collars off. It didnt last though. He is 14 and wearing a lupine right now.

from their web

LUPINE® products are
GUARANTEED (Even If Chewed)®

We understand the joys and frustrations of pet ownership! Although we can't replace the legs on your kitchen table or your best pair of shoes, we can do our part to help keep your best friend out of the doghouse.

Should anything happen to accidentally damage your Lupine product - including chewing mistakes -

you can try contacting any local Lupine retailers to see if they are able to replace the item for you. Not all retailers offer in-store exchange.

For a Dealer Locator by ZIP code, please go here.

Or simply mail the item to us:
thank you very much. that will come in handy:hello1:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree with taking her collar off at night. My guys don't wear a collar at all....most times they wear a fancy necklace when we are going out and they are carried or are in a dog bag. When they walk, they are on a harness. If you really need to put a collar on her I would tighten it up a little so she can't get it in her mouth. They do make some collars that are not indestructable. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Mine all wear a collar all the time. I had a problem with Reggie chewing his collars off. He's about 5 years old, so I can't really blame it on teething. :) I just got him a super thick and wide one and he's had it for about 3 months now with no chewing. It looks strange to have such a strong collar for such a tiny little dog, but at least it stays on him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dogs never wear their collars inside. I would remove the collar and offer good raw bones for chewing . dogs need to chew to help relieve with teething and to relieve stress.
Stuffed toys are NOt chew toys, they are to play with. Bully sticks or tendons that are digestible are important. I do NOT use rawhide as it is hard to tell the source and what chemicals are used in the processing.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Mine dint wear Collars indoors either

I must be the only person who's never had a chewing puppy problem they've never chewed anything they shouldn't very bizarre

Do you walk her daily?? Tired puppies sleep and don't destroy anything!!! My 6 month old is teething so much ATM her gums look like they're gonna explode I just give her plenty of natural chews

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Try looking up Lupine Pet. The collars are guaranteed, even if chewed...you just bring the chewed one back to the shop, and they replace it. Or you can mail it in for replacement if you ordered online.

At least then you won't be BUYING 5 collars a month! And they are pretty durable in lots of fun patterns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts