Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not chihuahuas, but rats... =(

I had only had them a couple months... unfortunately no amount of love or care could change the fact that they were very poorly bred as "feeder rats" with no conscious attention toward their health or genetics. I knew when I got them that I had to be prepared for the inevitable but as always I get attached and hang on to the thread of hope that makes me who I am... *sighs*

Felix crossed the rainbow bridge last week.. Spike just withered without him; and met his best friend once more this afternoon. =( I know they're just rodents... but their intelligence level is just incredible and it makes it so much harder to accept their terribly short lifespan; especially in a case like this where they were never meant to be "pets" anyway...

Its hard to sleep without the sound of Felix in his wheel... a sound that used to drive me nuts but now it just seems empty without it.. and even now sitting at the computer it's strange not to have Spike begging for a papaya treat (the cage is not even a foot from my monitor..)

Rest in peace my boys. You'll both be missed.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Rip babies :( I felt the same when my hamster dies just after new years I got a new guy now he's a cutie but didn't replace bamboo obviously were still bonding!

Will you get more in the future? I couldn't take the quiet or empty cage :(

They were lucky to have you for their short lives

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely get more.. but this time I'm going to look for ones that need rescuing or rehoming rather than buying from a petstore. For one, just to do a good thing and give some a home that need it; and for two, because if they've at least made it to a year I know they've made it past that dreaded stage that most feeder rats don't make it past...
Generally I hate buying anything from pet stores; especially when I see "the back room" where they usually keep the rats and mice piled on top of eachother in cages... I just always feel sorry for them and that need to 'save them' kicks in.
Unlike with pet store puppies though, it's not the PET rat owners that support this; it's the many more that feed them to snakes that keep the grossness in business.
I have NOTHING against the cycle of life and I understand that snakes have to eat; but it doesn't mean that their prey should have to suffer the entire life that it DOES get a chance at... =(

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am sorry you have lost the boys.. Just know they were cared for while they were with you.. I, too, seem to take on what most would think are lost causes.. but we do what we can to help when we can..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts