Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I've finally had it.. We're buying a crate for Dixie. We decided that she has had too much freedom and she thinks that she can do anything she freakin wants. :hmph: So far she has ruined 15 corners of the bottom trimming around our walls(we even sprayed it with Bitter Apple) that my dad had done all by himself cuz our whole house was ugly before he renovated everything, 4 of our albums, my down comforter, and my bed frame. I know some of you don't believe in crates, but I really can't handle monitoring her 24/7 just to make sure she doesn't ruin stuff. I have never hit my dog, nor do I ever intend to, but I do scold her with a firm tone of voice.

I don't know, we just feel better having her inside a crate and taking her out to go potty and play than giving her the whole house to terrorize. I have to do this anyway since I will be making a big move by going to live in our new Vegas home. And she has to be crate trained by then because it's just me going and my dad can't always come down there to fix things that Dixie has ruined. I'm just so frusterated and tired so SORRY :( if I am making a wrong move. :sad8:

·
Registered
150 Posts
You shouldnt feel bad for considering to buy Dixie a crate because if she is tries to eat or break everything she finds she migth come across something that is toxic. In my opinion you are doing the right thing, when she learns that she cant eat everything then you can take her out.. Maybe you should try having her out for a few hours once you get/if you get the crate and when she does do something bad to tell her No, bad dog, or whatever you decide to tell her and she might learn that way. Peanut has Luxating Patella and he cant run around or jump on the couch and at first I had him in a crate but after doing some thinking I bought him a "baby play pen" not the ones that have the mesh covering but ones that are supposed to be for children to play in outside (there is nothing there that he could eat) and it is so much bigger and he has his bed, food, water, toys and a lot of room to play in. Maybe you should consider buying that as an alternative to a crate. I hope this helps.

Yael

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I totally agree with yael - dont feel bad - she needs to learn that its not right to do these sort of things - does she destroy things when you are home or when you are out ? if its when you are out it could be behavioural anxiety - if its when your home you need to keep her confided to 1 or 2 roms like mine never go upstairs alone - also you could try obedience training as this may help - I dont see a problem with crates aslong as it is for short periods of time while you are out - and if the dog likes been in there it really isnt a problem - chin up chuck good luck :wave:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
I totally agree with yael - dont feel bad - she needs to learn that its not right to do these sort of things - does she destroy things when you are home or when you are out ? if its when you are out it could be behavioural anxiety - if its when your home you need to keep her confided to 1 or 2 roms like mine never go upstairs alone - also you could try obedience training as this may help - I dont see a problem with crates aslong as it is for short periods of time while you are out - and if the dog likes been in there it really isnt a problem - chin up chuck good luck :wave:
She does it when we're home. She just sleeps when we leave. She's only really allowed to be in my room and the hall way. We closed the downstairs entirely once she ripped off part of the chair we have downstairs.

Thanks for making me feel better. It ain't gonna be easy, but I must do it :D :wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts