Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to go ahead and look at the two pups i've posted before. I dont' think you guys were too crazy about them though. But it's not that far and theres a great restaurant there so my neighbor and I are going on tues. :p
Here is a more recent pic .

choc boy born 3/31

black and white girl born 3/19
Thoughts? Tell me what I should be looking for and i'm gonna write it down. lol
I'm pretty set on a female though I think.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
These are much better pics! Not so close to their face like the other's. I think they are both precious! They really have very similar heads and muzzles. I think they are both cute, and are perfect pet puppies. I wouldn't worry about them being "pet puppies," that's what the majority of us have. They really are adorable!!! And I bet that you'll find that in person they are even cuter than the pics! :) Have fun visiting, and take pics. You won't go wrong with that little girl if everything else checks out. Breeder, health, temperament, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Their muzzles may look a bit longer in pics than they really are. When you go see them you'll be able to tell if it's to your preference. As far as size goes, it's really too soon to tell. About the only way to guarantee size is get a pup that is over 6 months old. You can add about 1 lb. to their weight at that point to get a close estimate of full growth. As babies it's just a good guess from any of us. The best guess I can give you is that if the female weighed 15 oz. at 6 weeks old, you can add about 12 ounces to that for an estimate to her 12 week weight. Let's just say she weighs 2 lbs. at 12 weeks, double that and add 1 lb. About 5 lbs. grown. :) You really aren't going to find one much smaller than that unless you want to pay top dollar. There are a few that will top out at 4 lbs., but are far from the majority. Most breeders, not all, will try to “cash in” on 3 to 4 lbs. grown. Brody is 5 lbs., and he is still such a very small pup. I know you want to know for sure, but honestly, there is no way for anyone to say 100%.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Here is a little 7 month old, 3 lb. female that I looked at a long time ago. She reminds me somewhat of the little girl you are looking at. :)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I prefer the girl but thats just my opinion, she is cuter and I prefer lighter coloured chi's.
Its so difficult to tell what a pup is gonna look like when its an adult, they change so much. Will you be able to see mum/dad on Tuesday?

Heres a pic of Rocky as a pup(he is at the end on the left side), their head changes so much. 2nd pic is a profile pic of now.

Good luck for Tuesday!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Their muzzles do grow. Daisy's was so short when i first got her and is still short now but its grown significantly since we got her at 9 weeks and i think her actual nose (the black bit) is noticeably smaller than most other pups which makes her look a bit funny. The angle is also changing she had a 90 degree angle when i got her and it's change and gone back change and gone back..and i can't keep up on what her muzzle is doing but i dont really care she could have 2 muzzles and i'd still love her more than anything in the world.

We can't really tell you what you are looking for only you know that.. I'd check the parents thoroughly and check the pups bite so its not under or overshot. Ask if there is any history of luxation patella. I'd also ask how the birth was.. i like to know if it was traumatic or not.. Daisys mum gave birth watching tv and was just chilling out popping the pups out.

Squashed up short muzzle at 9 weeks

Best angle i can find showing its still pretty short but no way as short as it was before

I think you'll be very shocked about how small the parents are

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I prefer the first but that's only based on the fact I tend to get drawn to the darker colored Chi's. I can say that based on the pic the male will have a longer muzzle. It's harder to tell with the female because her pic is face on so it's hard to tell. But the male already has a longer muzzle...and they do typically get longer with age. Here was Matilda at 8 weeks & her muzzle now is quite long...

Good luck btw...I can't wait to hear about them! :)

(sorry it's a dark/crappy pic)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be able to see mom and dad because I believe those dogs belong to them. I am drawn to the darker colors but I want a female. I am excited. :D
I will ask about the health testing. They have been breeding chis for about 8 years I believe. So hopefully they know what they're doing lol. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
ohhhh what a hard choice!! I love them BOTH! :) The first kinda reminds me of Cujo, which I think is why I like him lol But the girl is a little dolly too! :) Good luck with your choice. I can't wait to see pics :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I think they are both just precious, such sweet faces. Even with preferences in mind, I really think above all you just need to meet them and see where your heart leads. One can look at tons of pics, but when you meet them in person, see their personalities, I think you'll know then. So I say meet them in person and go with your heart. Best of luck. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts