Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the fighting with Blitz I finally bought some raw food and dehydrated food. He is just so picky when it comes to eatting, and with him only being 3 pounds when he refuses to eat for 24 hrs he makes himself sick. This morning he threw up stomach acid before i could finally convince him to eat a little bit of canned food. When I have to work I'm worried about him the whole day if he doesnt eat before I leave.
I know some of you do feed a raw diet, what about the dehydrated raw diet? Have you had any luck with picky eatters?
I bought Sojos dehydrated diet and some Vital, then a starter pack of raw frozen food. I would love to hear your raw food experiances
Fingers crossed it works!

· Registered
14,454 Posts
I have used pre-mades before. I haven't used sojos or Vital. What raw frozen did you buy? I have used stella and chewys, ZiwiPeak, Primal, and Bravo. They are great for convenience and ease of feeding. I hope that Blitz likes his new food!

· Premium Member
10,023 Posts
I assume my food would be considered here. I feed Great Life Chicken and ZP Venison (at times mostly the Great life) Bg is picky she hates anything fish among other things. Also a friend of mine has a very picky eater too and her Kate loves both of the foods too.

Premium Dog Food- Natural Pet Dog Foods- Grain Free Food

Natural Dog Foods
Great Life Natural Dog Food is the most unique and nutritious dog food to come to market. Our motto is Quality is #1 for all of our pet products. Great Life is "The Art of Healthy Eating" Food process- we have studied variation in temperatures while the kibble is cooking determining the best temperature which allows for the most amount of expansion and contraction to saturate the kibble with our freeze dried raw food and nutrient mix. We cook the kibble at a temperature range of 185-205 degrees allowing for the destruction of pathogens while not killing off every nutrient. The warm kibble is the then moved to a specially designed nozzle to allow the spraying of all the freeze dried nutrients. It is then put into a cool room to contract the kibble pores-thus each kibble piece is uniquely saturated through out and around each kibble piece We created the concept of a freeze dried dog food nutrition package incorporating freeze dried protein sources, which is famous for being the Nutri-Coat. This coating holds a full spectrum of digestive enzymes, micro-encapsulated probiotics, super fruits, super greens and sun ripened vegetables enclosed in salmon oil and then saturated throughout our wholesome kibble.

This amazing combination allows dogs to feed on a nutrient active dog food. While other dog foods have their nutrition cooked out- our organic/ natural dog food nutrition is active and very tasty.

Great Life Grain & Potato Free Chicken
Great Life is coated and saturated with Nutri-Coat™ -- a unique blend of freeze-dried raw ingredients. Each highly digestible kibble is extremely nutritious with active nutrients.
Bag Sizes:
7 lbs. - UPC: 655464974154
25 lbs. - UPC: 655464070559

Great Life Nature’s Real Dog Food™ is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile for all life stages.

% BasisCrude Protein (min) 30Fat (min) 13 Fiber (max) 4 Moisture (max) 10 Ash 6 Calcium 1.37 Phosphorus 1 .1 Carbohydrates (min) 17 Vitamins Carotene MG/KG 7.67 Vitamin A IU/KG 21808 Vitamin D IU/KG 2433 Vitamin E IU/KG 129 Vitamin K MG/KG 0.75 Ascorbic Acid MG/KG 50 Thiamine MG/KG 13.89 Riboflavin MG/KG 11.21 Pantothenic Acid MG/KG 21.71 Biotin MG/KG .49 Folic Acid MG/KG 0.45 Choline MG/KG 4537 Vitamin B12 MG/KG 0.189 Vitamin B6 MG/KG 4.4 Niacin MG/KG 68.9 Iodine MG/KG 3 Amino Acids Methionine-Cystine 1.24 Methionine 0.84 Cystine 0.45 Lysine 2.49 Tryptophan 0.447 Threonine 1.94 Isoleucine 1.74 Histidine 0.944 Valine 1.95 Leucine 3.31 Arginine 1.33 Phenylalanine-Tyrosine 1.81 Taurine 0.075 Minerals Sodium 0.42 Potassium 0.88 Chlorine 0.87 Magnesium 0.14 Sulfur 0.34 Manganese MG/KG 33 Iron MG/KG 312 Copper MG/KG 7.79 Zinc MG/KG 251 Selenium MG/KG 0.66 Essential Fatty Acids: Omega6 3 3.1 Omega 3 .621Arachidonic Acid .08 Total Lactic Acid Micro-organisms- Not less than 800,000,000 CFU/lb (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifodobacterium longum, Bacillus subtillus, Enterococcus faecium in equal amounts)

Enzymes: alpha Amylase- min 3500ug/lb, Cellulase- min 842ug/lb, Protease- min 1000ug/lb
Lipase-min 723ug/gm/lb, Pectinase-min 380ug/lb, Phytase-min 193ug/lb, Alpha-Galactosidase-min 109ug/lb
M.E. Kcal/Lb 1812M.E. Kcal/cup 453
SUGGESTED DAILY FEEDING DIRECTIONS: PUPPIES Free ChoiceUP TO 25lbs ¼ - 1 CUP26-50LBS ¾ - 1 ½ CUPS 51-75LBS 1 - 2 CUPS 76+ LBS 2 - 5 CUPS Great Life Dog Food is nutrient active. Slowly incorporate Into diet over a number of days mixing with present dog food, Gradually increasing Great Life and diminishing other brand. The amounts suggested may vary according to age, size, temperament, activity level, breed and surroundings.

Ingredients

Chicken, Tapioca, Jicama, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze Dried Pumpkin, Freeze Dried Squash, Freeze Dried Parsley, Freeze Dried Papaya, Freeze Dried Chia Seed, Freeze Dried Kale Sprouts, Freeze Dried Broccoli Sprouts, Freeze Dried Barely Sprouts, Inulin, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Yams, Blueberries, Cranberries, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Enzymes:(Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Pectinase, Lipase, Phytase, Xylanese, Hemicellulase, Alpha-galactosidase, Invertase), Probiotics:(Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Wild Salmon Oil, Vitamins (Lecithin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamone Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), DL-Methionine, Minerals (Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acids Chelate, Manganese Amino Acids Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acids Chelate).

Also you might want to consider giving your little guy yogurt or probiotic powder to help settle his belly. My kidss are on this one:

Wholistic Pet Organics - Wholistic Acidophilus for Dogs and Cats
Wholistic Pet Organics - Wholistic Acidophilus for Dogs and Cats - Live Superfoods

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost got some Stella and Chewys, but didnt wanna commit to the whole bag, I did grab their pamphlet and I'm thinking about picking up a sample when it comes in next week, how did you like it? He has dental problems is it easy to chew?
They also had Ziwipeak, what formula did you try?
We got a Primal Starter pack.

· Registered
4,175 Posts
I have no picky eaters because they ADORE their Ziwipeak! My youngest was allegedly a picky eater and had numerous blood sugar crashes before we got her. I gave her ZP the minute she was in our car and now she is the eating alarm clock of the bunch!
They absolutely beg for the food. It works great as treats as well.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
My picky girl just loves the ZP lamb. Before that she would only eat chicken and eggs and would sometimes eat pork if I disguised it with egg/yoghurt/cheese but she practically does backflips for the ZP. Next time I order I will try the venison one too.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Stella and chewys is very easy to chew. If you got the freeze dried, you just add a little warm water and it rehydrates to a canned food consistency. The frozen medallions are similar. ZiwiPeak is well received by most dogs. It's little jerky squares. Most dogs love it. Brody has eaten the venison formula and the lamb one. He likes them both. We haven't tried the venison and fish as he's not a fish lover.

I'll be interested to hear how your little guy does with the new foods! Keep us posted!

· Registered
415 Posts
It is funny to see this post now. I just ordered ZP yesterday, because I have been concerned about Bandit's eating habits. I know that I do not give him enough canned food, but I leave out the Nature's Variety Instinct. I realized the other day that he really is not eating much of that.

I had not considered him picky as he ate the Purina foods without problem. And he seemed to enjoy the Instinct when I first got it. But then I went in search of treats for our puppy classes, and discovered that he really does not care for any of them. I ended up dehydrating chicken in small pieces. But that made me think that maybe he is a whole lot pickier than I originally thought.

I should have the ZP on Friday, so we will see how that goes.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I'll def let you know how he takes his food tonight. Your all selling me on the ZP. How long does a small bag usually last?
Blaze is about 10 pounds, she should be about 7. Would it help with possible weight loss?
Blitz is the lil one at 3 pounds, I know a bag would last him for a while.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the verdict is in. He did not like the Sojos at all! Thats the dehydrated meal. Instead of eatting it he tried to roll in it! Ugh! At first I thought he was having some kind of seizure. He just couldnt fit his body in the bowl. Lol.
So I then tried the Vital, its in the form of a one pound roll, he LOVED it! Licked the plate clean even. I gave him a lil extra just to see if it was a fluke but it wasn't he devoured that too.
At least I know he'll have a full belly tonight, I still need to try the Primal Raw food. I just dont want to over do it.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im gonna pick up some Stella and Chewys too. I've been hearing good things. What flavor does your baby like Missygal?

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, he does like chicken. they had quite a few to choose from, do you add water to yours?

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
One of the reasons we made the switch to raw was that Harley wasn't keen on kibble. He would eat it, but without enthusiasm, and was slightly underweight. Now he is on raw and LOVES it! Cleans his plate at every meal. The only thing he isn't mad about is liver, so we mince it and hide it in something he does like (ie anything else!)
Totally recommend raw for picky eaters :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.