Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any? I'm trying to find a really good breeder to get an applehead pup from in about 11 months. I wanted to find out where I'd probably be buying my pup in advance but I'm having a hard time finding any.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Have a look at your local rescues, they usually have a lot of chis that need homes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, but I really want my first chi to be a puppy. I know shelters sometimes have puppies but I wanted it to be a small purebred chi too and I doubt I'll be able to find a very young small purebred chi. I know its a selfish reason... this is technically my first dog though, my other dogs belonging to my whole family, and I just want it to be my "perfect" dog. For future dogs I will rescue, and hopefully foster for shelters one day too.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well remember...there is no "perfect dog"...let alone puppy! Puppies are terrors, really. Fun, but...a LOT of work.

Finding a "small" chihuahua will most likely also cost you a premium, so, be prepared for that. A healthy, small chihuahua from a good breeder is in high demand. You can expect that for the most part, 3.5-5 lbs is smaller than you ever imagined. A puppy's 8 week weight is not a determining factor in knowing really what size it will be as an adult...if you wait until a puppy is 12 weeks, you will have a slightly better idea, by doubling its weight and adding 1 lb. You can expect to pay a bare minimum of $550, well upwards of $1000. Just remember that this will be a member of your family for years to come, so this is not the place to skimp ;)

As for finding a good breeder, here is a great article to get you started: Finding a Responsible Breeder. We aren't even allowed to openly post breeder sites here, so if anyone has any suggestions they will have to be PM'd to you. Good luck in your search and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I also wanted to add -- absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a purebred, standard pup that will be within the breed weight standard. Rescue is not for everyone. It's not for me, I am all about the purebred babies, and am working hard to one day become a responsible breeder myself. If you know what you want, then go get it! :) Once you find a breeder you are comfortable with, you may have to wait for a pup, and my recommendation would be absolutely wait...the good breeders are few and far between, especially for chis :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Go online and look for your local breed club. There should be a list of Chihuahua breeders. You can also go to infodog.com and find local dog shows, once the chihuahuas are done in the ring you can approach breeders in handlers to find out if there are any on the ground at that time.

Keep in mind that rescues do get puppies from time to time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Also, when you do find some breeders you are interested in, go visit. If they aren't open to you seeing the mom etc. then those should be red flags. There are great people and resources on this site to help you with questions to ask. I think I got lucky in finding the breeder I did and really wouldn't go anywhere else. But be prepared to travel if you must for the right one. Good luck with your search. Very exciting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A bit off topic here. May I ask how to find a local breed club?.
Is this something for urban areas or are they common place?.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts