Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Yoshi has become mean to my youngest (5yo) child. He growls and bites him whenever he comes near. :( I've tried to teach him the method of rolling him over on his back and giving him the mama dog shake and growling low at him to teach him who is boss. My son doesn't want to do it, though. Yoshi also growls, barks, etc. loudly and constantly at eny one he doesn't know in the house. I don't mind a few growls and barks~that's what they do~ but it's constant until that person leaves. He's bitten my son several times and even got me while trying to bite my son. My son is not mean or anything to Yoshi, but is beginning to really hate him. What should I do? I need to control this right now. Especially the incessant barking when someone is in the house. We don't often have people over but summer is here and one of my son's friends likes to come over. It's been constant noise from Yoshi whenever he's been over. My son is too young to go to other's houses so his friend must come here. I've tried to socialize him as much as possible since getting him at 13 weeks. It doesn't seem to help. He even growls and barks loudly when we are out fron of the house and anyone comes by. He won't if we are elsewhere, though. Sorry this is so long winded :oops:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Don't dogs go thru a fear stage like near a year old, how old is the pup again? Other than that he may just not like him....a trainer might be able to shed some light. Petsmart will talk to you for free if you can get the trainer in the store alone for a minute.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try letting your dog be around your child, but keep a muzzle on the dog for about a month... My TinkerBell was agressive with my daughter after she started walking, and snapped at her several times. I put a muzzle on her for a little over 3 weeks every time she was around my daughter. Tinker hated that muzzle and she finally stopped growling and snapping. It takes time and patience, but it works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I've been teaching him to say OUCH loudly when Yoshi bites or gets aggressive. I read that it helps teach the dog that what he is doing hurts and needs to stop. Sometimes they are fine together and sometimes not. Yoshi can be Jekyl and Hyde at times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've have read somewhere on the net that if a chi is aggressive toward a new person then that person should ignore the dog completely. The dog will probably come closer to investigate. Never stare at him even for a sec or talk to him. Just act like the dog is not there, even if the dog barks like crazy. Then after some time, have that person drop a treat "by mistake" but again, don't give him any attention. If the dog comes closer to sniff the treat look at him for a sec and say something nice with a soft tone and then turn around again. Continue to do this throughout the day and eventually the dog will show some improvement.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I can see how that would work for adults who are staying awhile. I don't know about kids who just come over for a few hours, though. Someone mentioned muzzling . Do they even make them that small? :shock:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yoshismama, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. Tequila has been snapping at my son too. She was fine with him at first, but now she really agressive toward him and isn't at all toward me or hubby.

It's really worrying, as hubby has begun to voice his concern :cry:

It's like when he goes near her at times, when she's playing or anything at all ... she growls at him.

She's only 10weeks so I'm hoping she'll outgrow this. But I've been letting him sit with her during her quiet time and he's been feeding her and giving her treats, so maybe she'll see her as less of a threat.

Keep me updated on your progress please Yoshismama!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I call my new puppy killer chi. She is so nasty some days. She is getting better. I just show her I am the boss and she is learning, but i told my family no rough houseing with her cause that gets her too excited and she forgets herself. I have 6 chis and never had this problem till her. She was like this when i got her at 6 weeks old.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I asked a friend of mine who is a dog whisperer about this and she said to give your son a little spray bottle with citrus water in it - these can be bought at a pet shop - and whenever your dog gets near him or barks when he shouldn't spray him with it. The shock stops them in their tracks. I have seen this method used on big dogs and as long as your consistant with it and your son does it to, it will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts