Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie's current owners have fed him on James Wellbeloved, but I'm considering changing this when he comes to live with me.

I would love to feed Orijen, but at present just cannot afford it, its double the price of jwb for the same size bag :(

JWB do a cereal free kibble I'm considering trying. Or is Burns any better than Jwb?
I also have samples of Applaws dry food and Taste of the wild.

TOTW is probably the best kibble and a fair price.
But are jwb and burns that bad? I mean he looks good on it and has lovely teeth.

Raw is not an option as I just cannot stomach it.

I just want the best for my little boy! Xx

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'm not familiar with JWB so the best thing for you to do is your research. Go to the food & nutrition section of this forum & read up on all the different high quality foods. Then you'll be able to make your decision based on what your chis needs are & what you can afford. I feed mine THK & just got her a bag of ACANA Prairie to free feed her. I thought the THK was high but when you break the servings down for the price, it works out to be pretty reasonable & the health benefits are exponential.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Have you checked out Acana? It's made by the same company as Orijen and is excellent quality food for a lower price. I'm not much help since I am not too familiar with your food choices across the pond.

I'm not familiar with JWB so the best thing for you to do is your research. Go to the food & nutrition section of this forum & read up on all the different high quality foods. Then you'll be able to make your decision based on what your chis needs are & what you can afford. I feed mine THK & just got her a bag of ACANA Prairie to free feed her. I thought the THK was high but when you break the servings down for the price, it works out to be pretty reasonable & the health benefits are exponential.
We don't have JWB or Burns here in the States which is probably why you're not familiar with it. Likewise, they do not have Honest Kitchen in the UK.
;)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would think that any of these foods are accessible on-line. That's how I get my foods because I don't know of any stores around me that carry any.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
unfortunately we cant get THK here in the UK online or otherwise :(

id prob feed the Applaws dry out of those choices - but have u looked into Ziwipeak it is expensive but i would think the small bag for 1 dog would last you a while - i also think the Fish4Dogs Small Bite Salmon is quite a good for a reasonably priced kibble

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to feed Pippi James Wellbeloved grain-free because it was one of the few foods she could eat without making her allergy's worse.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not to change the subject, but I'm going to anyway LOL sorry, because inquiring minds want to know and I didn't see a thread where you put that you were actually getting him. :D

So when are you bringing little Louie home - do you have any pictures yet? I can't wait to see pics of the little guy and hear all about him!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to change the subject, but I'm going to anyway LOL sorry, because inquiring minds want to know and I didn't see a thread where you put that you were actually getting him. :D

So when are you bringing little Louie home - do you have any pictures yet? I can't wait to see pics of the little guy and hear all about him!
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi...-louie-finally-getting-my-chi.html#post777428 :D

I've been researching dog food for years and am really against grain in foods.
But he looks in such good condition on the James Wellbeloved.

Its just more a problem of cost at the moment.

He is a while from living with me yet so will buy him a bag of his normal food untill hes well settled before making any changes. Gives me time to work out whats best and what I can afford. Hes only a little guy though so shouldnt be too bad x

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a little research and calculation and after saying I could not afford the Orijen it prices out really well if you break it down weekly.

Heres what I come up with. (Based on feeding 60g as my rough guess)

Orijen Adult-£14.95
2.5kg will last me 41 days/6 weeks at £2.49 per week

Orijen Regional Red-£18.99
2.5kg will last 41 days/6 weeks at £3.16 per week

Orijen 6 Fish-£16.99
2.5kg will last 41 days/6 weeks at £2.83 per week

Which I don't think is too bad at all for a rough estimation anyway. How many grams of Orijen does everyone give their chis? Louie is around 3kg.

I also looked at Acana which is slightly cheaper (Again based on 60g per day estimate)

Acana Prarie Dog-£12.90
2.5kg will last 41 days/6 weeks at £2.15 per week

Acana Pacifica-£13.49
2.5kg will last 41 days/6 weeks at £2.24 per week

Acana Grasslands-£14.99
2.5kg will last 41 days/6 weeks at £2.49

Taste of The Wild also works out very economical but can only find it in 6.8kg bags and worried about having an open bag for so long. Would it be okay if I bought an airtight tub to keep it in? (Again based on 60g per day)

TOTW High Prarie Canine/Wetlands Canine-£24.99
6.8kg will last 113days/4 months at £1.56 per week

The TOTW is really good value and its the one i'm definatly leaning toward as it is more economical and means I would have to order less. I also have some sample bags to try before buying a big bag to.

Who feeds their chi's TOTW and how do you and your chi's rate it?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've not fed TOTW but I do recommend it. Actually got my mother (FINALLY) to switch her golden to it just a few weeks ago. I saw her for the first time yesterday since the switch (she was eating grocery store brand before). Her breath is MUCH better & she isn't stinky like she used to be. Even my mom noticed the change in her breath. ;) I am not familiar with JWB though so I can't give an opinion on that.

There is ZiwiPeak which is expensive but (and I hope I calculated/converted correctly!) it would cost you approx £2.66 a week. For the best food out there (IMO) it's really not bad when you compare it to the kibbles you have listed. :) Next to ZiwiPeak I'd go for the TOTW. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts