Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo...I have been thinking about the economy and Sol. I haven't had any responses for people interested in him. He is so sweet and spunky that I thought...what if I offered him to the best home, regardless of what they could pay? I would have them fill out my questionaire, withhold AKC papers until proof of nueter, and have a meet and greet with them to help me determine who is the best home. They could give me whatever they think they can afford. I really want him to go to a good home, that is most important.
Is this a bad idea? I am a very good judge of character and would even suggest we meet at their home :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Honestly I think it's a bad idea. If they can't afford to pay the price you are asking which I still think is way low then how can you be sure they an afford to look after him properly??

Is there anyone on here who is interested??? I agree about viewing their home I think that's reasonable if you are worried about them.

Have you got a spay and neuter contract too?? Honestly some people don't care about papers and will just breed them (especially as he's champion sired) you can stipulate that if you find out he's been bred (and you will) he automatically will come back to you and all monies are fortfitted

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think that when people get something for free - they don't value it as much as if they paid for it. I've just seen that happen. And if they can't afford a couple hundred for him, how are they going to pay for vet bills, quality food, supplies? The purchase price is nothing compared to the costs that add up during that first year!

Did you put up a cute picture of him in your vet's office? I'd also put up a cute flyer with his picture at petco and petsmart and any other higher end pet supply stores you have to try and catch someone's eye. Put him on the classified at Petfinder.com.

Put him in your area newspaper. Sometimes people don't know about puppy find or other internet sites, especially older people. (And older people are GREAT homes!)

Also, don't you manage a building? Could you bring him to work with you and put up signs there? Directing them to come see you if they are interested in a puppy? I don't know if pets are allowed there, but then you could also see him all the time which would be a great advantage. Plus you would kind of know the people and if they are trustworthy, pay their rent on time, don't cause trouble, etc.

If you ABSOLUTELY cannot find a home for him anywhere, then I'd give him to a Chi rescue group before I'd give him to anyone. They have strict standards and waiting lists. He would get an awesome home that way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I understand what you are saying, I guess I just want to share the love, LOL. I was going to give them to family and friends for free but that fell through. I feel like if I do everything in my power to make sure they are going to a good home and that this home has the ability to care for them...they should have my gift. In the end, the money won't really insure that they have a good life.
I do have a spay and neuter contract that the rescue I volunteer for has let me change up and use.

Oh, I manage low income housing and really wouldn't give him to anyone that lives here :rolleyes:, this is a rough bunch! I am not going to give him away for free, I am just meaning the fee could be negotiable.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
And we have to live completely across the country from each other...Sol is such an awesome little guy.. I pray you find him a wonderful home.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
maybe you need to just up your advertisement :) , with myself being a rescuer i see every day the little value people put on their pets , very rarely do i have an animal come in that has cost a lot of money in the first place , the ones i have had come in that cost quite a lot to buy have always been bought by someone else for the owner .
if you were closer i would have sol in a heart beat , he has been my fav since day dot :) .
if you are going to put ono on your adds i would up his price :) , if they are not willing to pay $300 the likely hood of them spending $300 on him at the vet is very slim .

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
wow, your only asking 300. around here he would sell fast at that price. they charge 250 at the shelters here to get a mixed breed adult dog.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just asked my fiance if I could have him, I got a big no. I dont think your price is unreasonable at all, Id happily pay it if you could talk him into it! Hes a lovely little puppy, I agree with others, you just need to get the word out there, someone will see him and fall in love with him. If you wanted to be more flexible to work within someones budget, maybe you could offer to split his purchase price into 2 payments or something like that.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
I think that when people get something for free - they don't value it as much as if they paid for it.
brodysmom! i love u :) but i have to disagree on this one. we got my bf's kitty hylus for free (except for the toll fee i had to pay which was $11 to crossover)
and he LOVES him to DEATH...he always puts hylus first. even before me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I honestly would ask for something and do the questions..I sold some of my pups for 150 before and all went to great homes. keep in mind that the lower the price is any one could pay for it..and you do got the right idea on keeping the akc papers. i do that with all my pet chihuahuas once proof is showen from a vet i mail them their akc papers..but i also have a time period when they have to fix their dog...good luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think $300 is really inexpensive. In NJ they are asking for about $800 and rescues want about $300. I hope you find the perfect home.

·
Registered
602 Posts
just flicking thru this blog is amazing to me!

in Aust its a challenge to find a Good breeder that is selling puppies for less than Aus $1000! most under that price arent breeding ethically or simply lie about having papers.

$300! I nearly died when i saw that!! That is amazing! you pay that for a X breed here!

But i agree with what was said about "if they dont pay 300 for the dog, they wont pay that much at a vet"

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I think that when people get something for free - they don't value it as much as if they paid for it.
I agree, I had a lady call me today who was upset that her 'free' dog was going to cost her $150.00 to get spayed. I think when people have to make the initial investment they care more for the animal and make sure it's taken care of better (not always the case, and there are exceptions to every rule), but we see it a lot when people get a free dog or cat they don't like spending money on them for shots/vet care/spaying/neutering etc.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
you can always send him to me =) j/k hubby would kill me
this is your pup and you know what would fit and be best for him and you also.
is he your last pup to place? how old now?

·
Registered
602 Posts
you can always send him to me =) j/k hubby would kill me
this is your pup and you know what would fit and be best for him and you also.
is he your last pup to place? how old now?
Same! i would happily take him, would be worth the argument i would have with my partner! haha j/k

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I agree, he is already really low in price, so i wouldnt accept even lower for him.
I think it is great you want a fab home for him, but i would just hold onto him till someone that can pay that price takes him.
It really isnt a lot of money at all!!
Cross breeds here are far more than what you are asking.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with everything said above.
I wouldn't lower the price, especially because having a Chi seems to be the fashionable thing :rolleyes: and going any lower in price may attract the wrong type of owners (people who haven't fully thought dog ownership through).

Also, withholding papers probably wouldn't make anyone too worried. Unfortunately, if someone wants to breed for money, they probably wont care if the dog has papers or not :(

Is there no way he can stay with you if he doesn't find a good home?
I think with breeding, you have to be prepared to keep a pup if you can't find just the right home. :)

He's a very special little boy and deserves a 5* home ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome to the world of breeding. Each and every time we have a litter, we have to be committed to keeping every puppy born to us for their entire lives. If we can't do that, we should not breed the litter. Period. It is not rescue's responsibility to place this puppy. Please, please, please, ignore that suggestion. I have so many I can't place now (including pups which usually are gone within a week) that have just been dumped by owners, puppy mills, etc. I'm turning surrenders down left and right because I have no room for anymore. This is one puppy. That is not a lot of work, dog food, or expense to add to your family until the right home comes along. Ultimately, it's the breeder's responsibility to keep the puppy until it goes into it's forever home...however long that takes, be it weeks, months, or years.

Personally, I've reduced prices, taken payments, and actually given pups for free to the right families. It all depends on the circumstances and the family. It's not about the money coming in to me. It's about the right home for the dog. Do what you feel is best for you and your pup.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
*sigh*.... wish I lived closer.... I would 'snatch' Sol in a heartbeat :)

he is just TOOOO adorable to go to just 'any' home..... he needs the 'perfect' home....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Welcome to the world of breeding. Each and every time we have a litter, we have to be committed to keeping every puppy born to us for their entire lives. If we can't do that, we should not breed the litter. Period. It is not rescue's responsibility to place this puppy. Please, please, please, ignore that suggestion. I have so many I can't place now (including pups which usually are gone within a week) that have just been dumped by owners, puppy mills, etc. I'm turning surrenders down left and right because I have no room for anymore. This is one puppy. That is not a lot of work, dog food, or expense to add to your family until the right home comes along. Ultimately, it's the breeder's responsibility to keep the puppy until it goes into it's forever home...however long that takes, be it weeks, months, or years.

Personally, I've reduced prices, taken payments, and actually given pups for free to the right families. It all depends on the circumstances and the family. It's not about the money coming in to me. It's about the right home for the dog. Do what you feel is best for you and your pup.
Lisa, thank you for your post. As always - really spot on! Since I have never done rescue, I haven't seen the behind the scenes drama as you have. I was just thinking of rescue as a "safety net" for a pet that needs placed, instead of going to an unscrupulous breeder, a sketchy family, or the shelter. Thanks for setting me straight!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts