Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - this is my first post here!

My girlfriend and I have a female chi, two years of age. We consider buying another dog, so we are looking for good matches :)

I've heard a lot of concern regarding introducing big dogs, but that isn't really relevant as we live in an apartment.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)
Do you have any breed ideas picked out? Do you wish to buy or adopt?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello and welcome! Chis love other dogs their size from my experience so a chi, min pin, or even like a yorkie, or perhaps even a boston terrier. Even a jack russel terrier. But it depends on how much time you have you training, some terriers require more time than other breeds in my opinion. I'm getting a dachshund to go along with my 2 chis :)
As for larger dogs, I have a sharpei and she is great with small dogs, cats, and even critters like rodents. But I do feel concern about bringing a large adult dog in if it hasn't been around small dogs.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I would suggest a Chi. Chis are notorious pack animals and tend to adore other Chis. I think that they can get along with other dog breeds as well, but they get along best with other Chihuahuas. If not a Chi, then another relatively small or averaged size breed would probably be best. I mean, a lab would probably be fine with a Chi but a bull mastiff may not be practical, you know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another Chi of course! (You're on a forum with people semi-obsessed with their chihuahuas... in a good way!)
Welcome!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Another Chi of course! (You're on a forum with people semi-obsessed with their chihuahuas... in a good way!)
Welcome!

SEMI???!!! bahahaha!!! :lol: ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I would suggest a Chi. Chis are notorious pack animals and tend to adore other Chis. I think that they can get along with other dog breeds as well, but they get along best with other Chihuahuas. If not a Chi, then another relatively small or averaged size breed would probably be best. I mean, a lab would probably be fine with a Chi but a bull mastiff may not be practical, you know.
actually a Bullmastiff is the ideal big breed for an apartment and probably has the most compatible personality to a Chi!:D (although would def take too much supervision with a little dog for most people).
I think most other toy breeds would be suitable, also mini daschshunds seem to get on well (I have a chiweenie and 2 chi's). Gentle breeds like American cockers and shelties could be considered.
Although I have to agree that Chi's love other Chi's and its such fun to watch them play together!;)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
actually a Bullmastiff is the ideal big breed for an apartment and probably has the most compatible personality to a Chi!:D (although would def take too much supervision with a little dog for most people).
I think most other toy breeds would be suitable, also mini daschshunds seem to get on well (I have a chiweenie and 2 chi's). Gentle breeds like American cockers and shelties could be considered.
Although I have to agree that Chi's love other Chi's and its such fun to watch them play together!;)
Hehe, I was just talking about size compatibility. Talk about a mismatched looking pair :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the inputs! I grew up with different breeds - though only one at a time - and adore all kinds of dogs.. As much as I like our chi it is mostly my gf's dog. Don't get me wrong, I walk, feed, play and train with her daily as do my gf. I just feel one chi is enough because of thier special personality and I would like a dog of "my own".. Our chi plays with other chi's almost every week as my gf started a/the chi-meeting club in our city (my country's second biggest city and no chi-meetings? Oh dear)

I've heard boston terrier coming up as a match a few times now.. that would be possible.. what you guys think about a frenchie? Heard they should be too rough, but thier description says they are great with all dogs

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Thanks for the inputs! I grew up with different breeds - though only one at a time - and adore all kinds of dogs.. As much as I like our chi it is mostly my gf's dog. Don't get me wrong, I walk, feed, play and train with her daily as do my gf. I just feel one chi is enough because of thier special personality and I would like a dog of "my own".. Our chi plays with other chi's almost every week as my gf started a/the chi-meeting club in our city (my country's second biggest city and no chi-meetings? Oh dear)

I've heard boston terrier coming up as a match a few times now.. that would be possible.. what you guys think about a frenchie? Heard they should be too rough, but thier description says they are great with all dogs

Bostons are a great match, so fun loving, outgoing and easy to train, great
little dogs. Frenchies aren't too rough at all if brought up with positive
reinforcement and given a daily outlet that'll satisfy their craving for activity,
same goes for Bostons. I personally think there are many breeds that will do
great with a Chi, one of the very important things you must consider before
getting another dog is your own lifestyle(activity level, time, budget, etc.)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hiya, my 3 babies play with my close friend's Boston baby boy (all around 6 months) every weekend, and as of this w/end just gone, his 3 month old girl.

They have a blast, although I have to say, his Boston Boy is an absolutre terror, and I say that in the nicest possible way - he's extremely clumsy, like beyond clumsy, and has no idea of his own strength with the Chi's, who get very, very pi$$ed off with him.

I've never seen an energy level quite like his, even when only 12wo, he would go non-stop from dawn until late night, even after spending all darn day tearing around in a group of pups at the beach. His little bitch is very sweet and calm, but remains to be seen if she'll stay that way - for some reason they both absolutely adore me and are constantly trying to get to me, and they get pretty hysterical/obsessed about it.

Based on what I've seen of the breed, I don't know how they'd go in an apartment, especially a small one, depends on level of exercise I guess, but if you get a clumbsy one, god help you! They are absolutely gorgeous dogs though.

My mate just paid $2.8k for his (standard price here) and within a week she developed cherry eye, woopsie there goes another $1k with the breeder telling them they're on their own, pfft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts