Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok that was cheesy, forgive me.

What I'm looking for is alternative bone that I can give to my dogs.

Currently, they only get drumsticks, wings, and necks.

All chicken... primarily because I'm afraid to give them anything too big.

I see pork ribs, ox tails, turkey necks; etc. and have a lot of options. I just kind of wondered what you all personally feed your dogs to give them their necessary bone content.

It's not that I'm worried about choking; I'm just worried that if I get a kind of bone they can't just crunch through (like they do with the chicken) that they wont make the effort to keep eating it. Like if it's too big they'll just lick it clean but wont make any effort to actually consume it lol...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That's how mine are w/ pork ribs...so, I just feed a boney meal before that one, in case they get no bone from the pork rib. Trigger eats the ribs tho, just the others don't bother.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I use chicken wings and cornish hen chunks almost exclusively for my bone content. I do have some rabbit pieces with bone and some quail that I will occasionally use as a meal. We also do pork riblets that contain the small bones.

As for recreational chewing, we use pork or beef ribs. I have to say that bully sticks are a staple as well.

I have been known to use the dreaded and ill advised soup (marrow) bones for chewing after poking out the hunk of marrow in the middle. Brody is not a stupid chewer, he will lay down and gnaw on it and I don't think his jaw strength is great enough to break teeth. These kinds of bones are NOT recommended for power chewers as they are so hard. They are weight bearing bones of large animals (cows) so they aren't advised. But... having said that .... if you know your dogs and they aren't power chewers, and you are willing to take the risk that these bones can be tooth breakers - then go ahead and get some. They are one of Brody's favorites. He will chew on one for hours. Get off all the meat/sinew/connective tissue, and really get a workout. Once they dry out, they go in the trash.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm.. okay, so is it all right if we just stick with using the poultry for our bone content?

I guess I just thought that since its important to have so much variety with the meat that there should be variety with the bone too... if there's no harm in just using primarily chicken bones I have no issue continuing with just that.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hmm.. okay, so is it all right if we just stick with using the poultry for our bone content?

I guess I just thought that since its important to have so much variety with the meat that there should be variety with the bone too... if there's no harm in just using primarily chicken bones I have no issue continuing with just that.
I do mostly chicken bones for bone content. 10% of the diet is not very much. If you can, try pork riblets (like they have at applebees). Farmland is the brand and you can get a huge box cheap. They have them at my walmart. Or it's worth asking at the meat counter if they can order some in. Gosh, we like them too... throw them on the grill and baste with BBQ. Yum! :)

Always check the sodium level on a new meat to make sure it's below 100mg per 4 ounce serving. If so, then you are good to go. The farmland riblets are natural, with no added sodium and nice edible easy bone if you can fine them.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hmmmm.... just thought of another bone source we use. Can't believe I forgot about it! Lamb breast. I get it at walmart too. You get a huge rack of very fatty short ribs for $5.00 or so. It's super cheap. It has AWESOME edible lamb bone that is easy for the chi's to eat. I take a sharp filet knife and cut away almost all the fat. Its almost like bacon, very fatty. Save the meaty parts and the bones. I typically will get about 10 ribs from one lamb breast and they are about an inch wide, sort of flat, and about 3 inches long. Brody loves them. That reminds me that I need to go pick up some more!! He hasn't had them in awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts