Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a few weeks of waiting we picked up our (bf + I) new chi baby girl at about 5 and she has been sleeping almost 80% of the time she has been here. I know she is just a baby only 8 weeks old and 7oz, but she hardly can eat hard food it takes her about 3 mins just for one piece of food (we have given her a little nutrical gel) she hasnt drank like any water. So is any of this normal for a puppy during a big change and stuff?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
7 oz is really tiny. Did she come from a reputable breeder? Are you sure she is 8 weeks old? IMO 8 weeks is still to young to come home especially at that size. I would moisten the dog food and make sure you give nutri-cal often. Is she just sleepy or lethargic? When is the last time she ate or drank? Is she taking the nutri-cal? With a puppy that tiny the stress of being rehomed could cause hypoglycemia, her over exhilerating herself in play could also cause her to go into sugar shock. pull back the skin on her neck and see if it snaps back pretty quickly, if it slowly goes back she could be dehydrated. Not trying to scare you but she is really tiny and really young so watch for lethargy and make sure she is eating at least 4 times a day and drinking regularly as well as give that nutri-cal before bed, first thing in the morning, before you leave to go anywhere and randomly throughout the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. she seems to be doing better now that she had a while to sleep she went potty and ate like 6 pieces of chewy purina one tiny bits and drank a sip of water and then I gave her a good size lick of nautical and then she ran around the room and played tug a war with my sock for a while and now she is laying on my lap

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh my, how tiny. I am glad to hear she has eaten some and taken a bit of water now...Like Yoshismom said, 7 ounces is so small ... are you certain she is 8 weeks old? I don't mean to question you, but there are people who sell chis that aren't always truthful about the age of their pups..When we took in Bandy at 5 weeks old, he weighed 8 ounces and it was a real struggle to get him to eat. We had to feed him soft food to get him to eat at all and supplemented him with Nutrical and a milk replacer. I will be in prayer for your baby and look forward to seeing pics of her. Blessings, Deb

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I wanted to add that I would find a better dog food than Purina One as I am not a fan of the dog food and I feel your tiny girl would need a better premium dog food due to her size. You can review dog foods and make your own decision after viewing these two sites. Dogfoodanalysis.com (click on dog food reviews) and also go to dogfoodadvisor.com

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I wanted to add to the dog food comment and say that I wouldnt change the food at this age. As long as she is eating it that is good. You could also supplement with a premium can food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts