Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I assumed, Gemma does not like the Venison ZP sample we've received, just like she doesn't like any of the ZP treats.

I have replaced the Acana in her food bowl with ZP now and am just leaving it there for her to take or leave. Do you think she will eat it eventually when she's hungry enough or could she really possibly hate it so much that she will starve herself? How long should I hold out and wait for her to eat it? When I was getting her to eat her Acana when she first came home, I first had to mix it with canned ZP, then when I eliminated the canned ZP and just gave her Acana, she wouldn't eat it for about 36 hours. She finally gave in though and has been eating it regularly ever since. Do you think the same will happen with this dry ZP or could she just possibly hate it so much that she won't ever eat it? Also not sure if I should try mixing it with a little canned ZP first to see if that will warm her up to it.

Suggestions for me and this little diva? :p

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Let's see... (you already know this) first step is to stop thinking of her as a diva! She is beyond precious but she is a dog.

At work, does the employee decide when it is lunch time or morning start time? Nope. The manager does. Even really compassionate, thoughtful managers.

She will eat it.

Oh! Did you add some water to it?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Gemma you are a very naughty little girl!
A healthy dog won't starve itself. She will eat when she is hungry.
Yeah, she is such a turd. Turns her nose up to the most expensive foods. :foxes15: I guess I will just wait her out and maybe give her a little Nutrical if she doesn't eat for more than a day.

I added water to it so it wasn't do dry maybe u can try adding a bit so it's moist. My dogs love zp any flavor! Shame she's so picky must be frustrating at least it was a free sample!
I was thinking about doing that, but the problem with Gemma is that she is free fed because when I tried a morning and evening meal schedule, she would only eat the evening one and I didn't want her only eating once a day. I just gave up and started free feeding her. So the ZP will probably go to waste if she won't eat it when I add the water to it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's see... (you already know this) first step is to stop thinking of her as a diva! She is beyond precious but she is a dog.

At work, does the employee decide when it is lunch time or morning start time? Nope. The manager does. Even really compassionate, thoughtful managers.

She will eat it.

Oh! Did you add some water to it?
Haha, thank you, Karen. Okay, so I will just wait her out and not give into her demands. I have not tried adding water to it yet because of the reasoning in my above post. I just don't want it to go to waste since it's so expensive. I remember trying to do that with her Acana kibble when she wouldn't eat it and she still didn't touch it with the water and it just turned into mushy stuff for the garbage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two things come to mind:
A healthy dog will not starve itself.
A dog, if given the chance, will walk all over you like a rug if you let it :)

She's training you so you just need to change the tables on her.
If it were me and I don't know if it's the right call or not but as you are home with her and can monitor her health and safety ~ I would do whatever needed to be done to let her get a taste of the moistened food. Once she tasted it I would mix a few squares and show her it's in her bowl ready to be eaten. After 20 minutes I would lift the bowl. At next feeding time, I would show her "here are your yummies, get your teeth in if you are hungry" and again leave it down for 20 minutes. (I know going from free feed to scheduled feed can be scary as I just had to do that with our recent guy).

Once you get her a tad hungry she's going to be a bit more willing to "lower her standards" and eat something she hasn't quite learned is super desirable. She knows at this point if she holds firm, you'll cave and give into her. You just need to break that cycle and take the lead, and once she sees you mean business this time she'll learn if she doesn't eat she's going to be hungry. She should pick this up quickly. In saying that we have had some pretty headstrong, savvy dogs, that worked our heartstrings too ~ but Dad was always able to hold strong and get around feeding issues & I have been pretty lucky as well in the past. Even my new guy wasn't thrilled at first with new eating arrangements. A different brand and he now had meal time with a very active pup and scheduled feeds opposed to free feeding he had at his prior home ~ he wasn't used to any of that. I knew he was healthy, I knew he was getting a quality kibble & I knew he was working me ~ so I held strong and now you wouldn't know at all there was ever an issue/s.

They are so cute and can so easily be crafty. I would seriously hold strong and push with it and you should be able to get her to come around.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
two things come to mind:

she's training you so you just need to change the tables on her.
If it were me and i don't know if it's the right call or not but as you are home with her and can monitor her health and safety ~ i would do whatever needed to be done to let her get a taste of the moistened food. Once she tasted it i would mix a few squares and show her it's in her bowl ready to be eaten. After 20 minutes i would lift the bowl. At next feeding time, i would show her "here are your yummies, get your teeth in if you are hungry" and again leave it down for 20 minutes. (i know going from free feed to scheduled feed can be scary as i just had to do that with our recent guy).

Once you get her a tad hungry she's going to be a bit more willing to "lower her standards" and eat something she hasn't quite learned is super desirable. She knows at this point if she holds firm, you'll cave and give into her. You just need to break that cycle and take the lead, and once she sees you mean business this time she'll learn if she doesn't eat she's going to be hungry. She should pick this up quickly. In saying that we have had some pretty headstrong, savvy dogs, that worked our heartstrings too ~ but dad was always able to hold strong and get around feeding issues & i have been pretty lucky as well in the past. Even my new guy wasn't thrilled at first with new eating arrangements. A different brand and he now had meal time with a very active pup and scheduled feeds opposed to free feeding he had at his prior home ~ he wasn't used to any of that. I knew he was healthy, i knew he was getting a quality kibble & i knew he was working me ~ so i held strong and now you wouldn't know at all there was ever an issue/s.

They are so cute and can so easily be crafty. I would seriously hold strong and push with it and you should be able to get her to come around.
YES! Every. Single. Word!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two things come to mind:

She's training you so you just need to change the tables on her.
If it were me and I don't know if it's the right call or not but as you are home with her and can monitor her health and safety ~ I would do whatever needed to be done to let her get a taste of the moistened food. Once she tasted it I would mix a few squares and show her it's in her bowl ready to be eaten. After 20 minutes I would lift the bowl. At next feeding time, I would show her "here are your yummies, get your teeth in if you are hungry" and again leave it down for 20 minutes. (I know going from free feed to scheduled feed can be scary as I just had to do that with our recent guy).

Once you get her a tad hungry she's going to be a bit more willing to "lower her standards" and eat something she hasn't quite learned is super desirable. She knows at this point if she holds firm, you'll cave and give into her. You just need to break that cycle and take the lead, and once she sees you mean business this time she'll learn if she doesn't eat she's going to be hungry. She should pick this up quickly. In saying that we have had some pretty headstrong, savvy dogs, that worked our heartstrings too ~ but Dad was always able to hold strong and get around feeding issues & I have been pretty lucky as well in the past. Even my new guy wasn't thrilled at first with new eating arrangements. A different brand and he now had meal time with a very active pup and scheduled feeds opposed to free feeding he had at his prior home ~ he wasn't used to any of that. I knew he was healthy, I knew he was getting a quality kibble & I knew he was working me ~ so I held strong and now you wouldn't know at all there was ever an issue/s.

THANK YOU! I will hold my ground. I was just worried she would like die and not eat if she really found it repulsive. But she is in good health as far as I know, so there should be no medical reason for her not to eat.

I think I will start by leaving the ZP down on its own, and once she starts eating it I am going to work her into a morning and evening feeding schedule since I intend to feed her fresh raw mixed with the ZP in half of her meals and that can't be left down freely.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry, she will eat it. I battled with Lion for a while, but he gave in. Just stay strong! I know it is hard, but she isn't going to starve herself.
Thank you for the encouragement. You girls have made me believe she will eat it now, so I'm not going to give in unless she's not eating for several days, and then I would probably need to take her for a vet visit in that case anyways. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
YES - YES - YES!!!! I agree with karen and DKT113! You have to hold your ground. It's tough, but you will prevail!!

Our dogs tend to pick up on our preferences - you aren't a picky eater are you? lol.

She IS very hard to resist!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES - YES - YES!!!! I agree with karen and DKT113! You have to hold your ground. It's tough, but you will prevail!!

Our dogs tend to pick up on our preferences - you aren't a picky eater are you? lol.

She IS very hard to resist!!
LOL, I am a pretty picky eater. But once I'm hungry enough, I'll eat whatever I can find. :p

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody routinely skips meals, especially in the morning. Even if its something he usually really likes. I just stick it in the fridge and he gets it for dinner. Nothing else, no drama, just matter of fact. "You don't want to eat? Ok. You can try again later." No big deal.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Lol she might not eat it. When I tried to switch my Charm to Ziwipeak she went 6 days without taking a bite of food. Then she started to sugar crash so you know what, I had to give her what she was having before that she would eat lol.

A healthy dog will not starve itself, but chihuahuas do have hypoglycemia to contend with. I have no problem with tough love (obviously, I let my dog snub its food for 6 days) but we all should be aware there are extreme cases where a dog really, WONT, eat something lol.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.