Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the results in the e-mail today. the nutrition test is still pending...but the rest came in and it doesn't look that great...he's lacking a whole buttload of vitamins/ too high in protein/ too high in plant based food? possible exposure to toxic chemicals/pollutants?! :foxes15:

here's a shot of the e-mail explainin the factors :confused:

here's the results itself

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
don't have a clue on the results but would love to know what you asked for when you got this test done? its sound like something I would love to have done for Chico and Cocoa

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't have a clue on the results but would love to know what you asked for when you got this test done? its sound like something I would love to have done for Chico and Cocoa
hey jan :) thanks for the reply. im not sure what it really is called as he did a lot of things but this is the bill

·
Registered
801 Posts
From the explanation given, your next step is more testing to
rule out Cushings and a urine analysis to check and see if there
was a testing error or he actually has abnormalities in his urine.

IMO I would get those done ASAP. You said he gave you
some feeding suggestions/recipes, have you been feeding
those to Dexter since your visit ?

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What were his recommendations for you? What have you been feeding and what does he want you to feed?
What did the vet say about it all?
i didn't call the vet just yet. i want some deep opinions from people who knows their pets and have had these issues before. from the e-mail it looks like he recommends to do other testings...and this will cost a lot..i just know it :lol: so before i do that i want to see other options as in milk thistle and such

i have been feedin him homemade meals but it looks like the results says its much protein :( so i'll have to see how to feed in a low-protein meal. i've checked many sites online recommended by a friend whose chi is goi thru the same diet as in needin low protein meals. when i walked into the exam room i noticed they dont "sell" science diet but yet promote royal canin..just a small fact to share

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the explanation given, your next step is more testing to
rule out Cushings and a urine analysis to check and see if there
was a testing error or he actually has abnormalities in his urine.

thanks christa
bills are stackin high right now :( a testin error?! ugh...
the feedin suggestions yes i actualy have done his suggestions. however this was before knowing he was high in protein...so now i dont know. i'll be makin a followup appointment to get the details but not just yet

·
Registered
946 Posts
oh, I missed that there were food recommendations earlier. What were they and what is is suggestion now for food. I don't know how you fed before either.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I certainly understand the economic aspect, after spending
as much as you did I would be a wiped out for awhile.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, the urine test shouldn't run too much $$ should it? I would call and get a price on it. That would be a good start along with diet changes and if not too expensive put your mind at ease with more accurate info. Also, I would think for the price you paid for the tests already done the vet should give you new diet recommendations and or recipes to go with this new bloodwork info.
But, PigeonS, I'm very pushy on getting info--lol. Don't be afraid to insist on instructions to go with his info :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I talked to you on FB already ... but will just give you a couple of recommendations here also ... :)

I would put him on the liver diet that Dr. Dodds recommends. It's white fish and potato I believe. Low protein so easy on his liver. I would also start him on milk thistle. Those things can't hurt and will likely HELP.

I still think that he needs a bile acid test done. This is really important to see how his liver is functioning or if he has a liver shunt. You just don't know until you have this test done. I'd also have the adrenal test done. That's what I would do! In the meantime, start him on the liver cleansing diet and the milk thistle supplement.

It's very possible that his problems can be handled with medication and/or diet! But you do need a firm diagnosis before you can go further so that means more tests. You've gone this far, you've already spent a bunch of money... a couple hundred more to get a solid diagnosis is really important. I would urge you to go on and have the rest of the testing done so you know exactly what you are dealing with and how to help him. :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Poor pup, hope it's all manageable.
Keep us posted on his progress and further test results.
I'm no vet, but am a strong believer in proper nutrition
being critical for overall health. Find what works for
your little guy and continue the tests recommended.
That's my 2cents. Take care. HUGS!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I know that you are probably doing this already.....but I'd check all of his treats. some factories/processing plants have been discovered to have contaminated pet treats. There have been toxins and yucky stuff found.
Most of these have been associated with big manufacturing centers in asia.
I have seen this issue mentioned here before....check all of his treats/food.

The bill from the vet seems like a lot when you have the tests run all at one time....at least he did them on one visit.

I like the explaination format he gives too...

Sorry Dexter....missed this on FB...damn internet broken here...I complain later about that:foxes15:

I would investigate the liver shunt...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Again I agree with Tracy and Sugar you really don't want to wait too long to eliminate Cushins Disease, because if God forbid it was that, it is a very serious thing to deal with. Like I said on FB: You need a firm answer as to what is going on right away, a firm course of treatment and a solid diet plan. I also agree with "I'm very pushy on getting info--lol. Don't be afraid to insist on instructions to go with his info" Also get clear explanations of everything the vet is testing for and the results!!!! knowledge it power and that power will allow you to help Dexter the best way possible.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i'm so sorry you have to go thru all this. if it were me i'd do the tests but would first want an estimate on what everythings going to cost so i'm not in for a shock...

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Our miniature schnauzer Fritz who has now passed away had cushings disease, and his liver results were out of whack as well. I would DEFINITELY test for cushings if your vet is suspecting it. If he does have cushings, you want to get on top of it and get him on medication ASAP.

We tried Fritz on a medication for it and when he went back for testing, his levels were even crazier and it was determined that he wasn't a good candidate for it. It was the only medication available for his symptoms at the time, so he unfortunately had to go without anything for a couple of years. However, a new medication had been approved for cushings in dogs when his symptoms began to get worse, and we were able to put him on it for the last year and half of his life and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh, and NO TREATS or food AT ALL from China!!! There is ton of info out there on these treats/products (not just chicken jerky but rawhide, etc.) causing liver and kidney failure. Just because they sell it at the pet store doesn't mean its safe.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts