Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 3 year old long hair Chi for 2 weeks now. Couldn't love her anymore. Problem...went out and bought an expensive soft crate. I was told she was crate trained which she seems to be but...

I left her for a few hours a few days ago and she chewed thru the front door! That crate was so expensive! :cry: so I ordered a whole new cover. Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to stop her from chewing the front mesh cover? is there such a thing of something bitter that won't hurt her but keep her from chewing or scratching her way thru? Any help would be appreciated! thank you......if you could email me privately it would be great. thanks again and again! Terri

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You could try spraying it with Bitter Apple. It is supposed to curtail chewing on whatever you spray it on. Why not get a plastic crate with a metal grate door for at home and use the soft one for vet visits, etc.?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chewing

I don't know how to stop it. Seems to be something they do continuously as they are in the teething stages, but stop later on.

UNLESS there is something GOOD to chew on. For example, I heard Dobbie chewing on something last night while I was washing my hair. When I got in there, he was chewing off the new leather case from my new camera phone. Rats, that case cost me $29.99 and was only 10 days old. Dobbie had seen it before, but I guess it smelled JUST RIGHT to him last night. In fact, my phone is always beside me (and Dobbie since he is right there) and Dobbie had always ignored it before. Oh well, I left it on the night stand when I went to the bathroom. When I took it from him, I got this look, "You didn't want that old smelly thing on your pretty blue phone, did you? I took it off for you. See."

We had a mixed-breed terrier once who was amazing. He was house-broken at 6 weeks (when he first walked in the house) but you couldn't confine him anywhere that he didn't find a way out. Gates: when small, he would chew his way through them; when larger, he would leap over them. We would put a gate, several kitchen chairs behind the gate, etc. When we would come home, he would meet us at the door: "I figured it out Mommie." We ended up buying one of those plastic crates with the metal grate door and used that when we had to confine him. Most of the time he was loose in the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts