Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I bought the 19.99 new puppy package at Banfield the Vets Assistant told me my puppy was healthy and would I still like the Vet to examine her. Of course I said yes. The Vet comes in and says I need to take her in back is that ok. I thought that was strange but agreed. She came back with a very worried look and a referal to a cardiologist because she said Baby Girl had a heart Murmur. I took the referral and left. I then took Baby Girl to the Sunshine Animal Hospital I didn't tell the doctor anything about Banfield and he examined her and looked for another stethoscope of course my heart started racing. He then listened again gave her several kisses (she loves him) and told me he detected a heart murmur grade 1 and that it could be just because she was excited but no cause for alarm he would monitor the condition. He then proceded to listen to all my concerns her diet, her exercise.... I went on and on he treated us like he had all the time in the world.

Does anyone else have a CHi with a heart murmur. Please tell me how you found out and what you are doing?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I had a chi with one,the first i noticed was he started to cough when we were out walking or he run about think he was about 5 or 6,he was put on meds and he lived till he was 17 and died of old age,so please don't worry if she's being monitored she'll be ok.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My cat Huly had to go to the Emergency Vet one night. He was totally stressed out and they told me he had a heart murmur and needed to see a cardiologist. Well since he was stable I took him home and took him to my Vet the next day. She could not hear a murmur at all. She had to stress him out to the max for it to show.

I have had very bad situations with our emergency vet so I walked in that day with a chip on my shoulder and walked out with a bigger one after everything they told me. That was 3 years ago. Just monitor her and go from there. Remember some Vets are in it for the $$ and not for the dogs so find someone you and your pup trusts.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Trust me I was freaked out! Stayed up all night with him etc but since I did not trust them already I was happy when we saw my Vet I do trust!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
my last Chi lived until he was 17 yrs old, with a heart murmur...

Chico has a 2/6 heart murmur now on hte right side and she hears a smaller one on the left side........ he has been to a cardiologist and had an Ultrasound of his heart.... Dr says no meds are required right now as she doesn't think its bad enough yet.... but I will watch it ....

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
A grade 1 murmur may not change during the dogs life. Just have the vet listen once or twice a year. Of course if she starts panting, wheezing etc then take her in asap.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
So glad they found it! It sounds like she should be fine!

After reading everyone's post, I am beginning to think my first chi may have had a heart problem. The vet never mentioned anything! But we are talking a long time ago! I have learned so much on this forum! I am very grateful to everyone here!!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts