Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Dahlia went for her yearly shots and checkup.
The place totally changed hands and there was a nice young vet there.
He was an answer to prayer as far as chis and being a better communicator.
We found out she is a grade 2 in both knees.She has never acted
in pain but her legs do act weak and wobbly.She weighs just 3.2 down from 3.13 when she was spayed.We took her off store bought treats.

Should I stash money away each month for her possible surgery
or try to find a good insurance company for her?
Are they real $$$$$??????
Oh I dont know how to tell my husband all this.
We have health issues developing for ourselves now that we are getting
older and cant afford to deal with.How do I tell him about this?

Oh she was such a sweetheart there at the vets! He said she was special
and in his "top 10 of all time" for chihuahua patients.He just praised her up and down.She didnt bat an eye when she got her "jabs".
Any advice on the LP insurance issue is appreciated.:( Thanks chi friends.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the LP. :( I don't know much about it but I'd personally try to set some $$ aside each week/month for it rather than spend money on insurance. Plus I don't know if some pet insurances do a "pre existing condition" thing or not. But at least if you put the money away for it you'll have it for when you need it.

Sounds like the vet was fabulous though--and Darla did so great. What a sweet heart she sounds like. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Most insurance's won't cover it because it's a congenital problem in them, which most exclude. We normally do surgery when they are grade 3 or 4 (meaning the knee can't stay in place it pops in & out all the time). I would put her on a good glucosamine /chondroitin supplement (I use Phycox for Zoey) that will help keep things lubricated and possibly prevent further damage. The average price for surgery I think is about $1000 per knee, although I have heard it higher & lower than that.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sorry to hear about dahlia. You should probably tell your breeder as it's hereditary.

Unfortunately an insurance company won't insure her for her lp so you're going to have pay for any operations yourself!! It's about £4000 surgery here.

Also put her on a glucosamine supplement asap and fish oil

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank-You everyone.
Yes I pretty much expected that the ins wouldnt
go as it is a pre-existing condition.Dahlias breeder no longer
breeds chis and now breeds bishons mainly.She had a 6 yr
health guarantee for heriditary disease.She refunds the cost
of the chi.That means Id have to give Dahlia back to her :(
and I cant make myself do it.Shes my Babe and todays news is breaking my heart.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
That guarantee sucks! I mean it's nice that she guarantee's them but what's the point if you have to give the dog back? Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
So sorry about Dahlia, but try not to let it get you down. She is still a healthy and happy little girl. :) Definitely get her on a good glucosamine supplement. I personally wouldn't operate unless it was stage 3 or 4 and/or slipping more than not. This is what an excellent ortho surgeon once told me.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww no Rhonda am so sorry!
Yeah i agree i would just start saving till she needs the surgery.

So if you already have insurance and then your dog gets this, would they pay up?
I hope i never have to find out of course.

Anyway give Dahlia kisses from me.
I am sure your hubby will surprise you as i know he loves that wee sweetheart as much as you. xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If you are insured before they show symptoms or are diagnosed yes you're insured... So daisy is insured should hers ever need surgery

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Bizkit's knees were diagnosed in February as 2.5s. My vet said they don't consider surgery unless they are a 4. He has an Rx of Meloxicam that I give him when he needs it. I do try to give it only when he needs it though. Otherwise, he gets a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement every day (which the vet recommended), and his food has those items plus the Omega 3 and 6. I will tell you that I've definitely seen improvement from these measures. Now when I watch him walk from behind, I don't see his knees popping out to the sides as they used to. He's a pretty happy boy.
Try not to be so downhearted. There is still hope for improvement.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We have been using Hylox lately for our joint supplement, I would give her 1 a day, 1/2 in the AM, 1/2 in the PM. Give it with meals as it can upset her tummy. That is "more" than the bottle will recommend, but it will give her more immediate support :) I'd also consider getting a 2nd opinion on her knees... but yes, now that a vet has it on file that she has LP, no insurer will cover it. Had you had insurance prior, it would be covered.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Petplan will cover LP. Since it's already diagnosed, I think they won't cover it for 2 years but you can call and ask- if you'd like of course.

We use Petplan and it costs $153 per year (with a $200 deductible and a 20% co-pay) for a full Chi. If it's a mixed dog it's $99 per year. All of my dogs are 2 and under though.

We use Glyco-flex III for our two that have LP. So far, we're doing good on avoiding surgery.

You'll be okay Dahlia!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So sorry about Dahlia, but try not to let it get you down. She is still a healthy and happy little girl. :) Definitely get her on a good glucosamine supplement. I personally wouldn't operate unless it was stage 3 or 4 and/or slipping more than not. This is what an excellent ortho surgeon once told me.
I agree. My girls have grade 2+3 between them. We won't operate unless it's hurting them or affecting their daily living. So far, it's not.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank-You for the info and words of encouragement.
I had a good cry and now I will take action to get
her what she needs to maintain her present level hopefully.

My hubby just came home and hugged me and said "its
ok........we will take care of her." Oh I am so lucky.
He could have been angry and focused on the cost.
I feel like the world has lifted off my heart.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
See i knew he would be cool and supportive about it Rhonda.
Am glad you are feeling a bit better about things now. xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just reading this.... so happy that your hubby is supportive. What a relief.

I agree with the others. A good glucosamine supplement and fish oil. That may help enough to avoid surgery. We use Hylox (more of a preventative, no problems yet) and I give Brody the same fish oil capsules that I take.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was scared/I went to Petsmart

Yes I guess you were right Terri!
I was nervous cause you know how guys can
be about money.
I went to Petsmart in Ft Wayne IN
today about a hour drive from here.They carry all
GNC vitamins and joint care stuff and wow it was $$$$$
I notice that they dont have very much ingredients in
them too.Like 300 mg glucosamine as compared to
1000-1500 for humans.Its actually cheaper to buy human
grade glucosamine and such too.Also going to get us
salmon oil too.
I take glucosamine-chondriaton(?) too.
Two days without it and Im not walking!!
I know it will be good for her cause I cant live without it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts