Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been wanting to try a green smoothie as I figured that would be a great easy way to get a decent amount of fruits and vegetables in me in a day. I'm not a very healthy eater and much prefer the bad stuff to fruits and veggies. Also, people say they give you a ton of energy, and I could use that. I decided to see if I could find one already made to try before I attempted to make one myself. I found a Tropical Smoothie Café that makes them, but it has 83 grams of sugar. Is that normal? I looked up the sugar content in all the ingredients, but it doesn't add up to 83 grams. They say they use turbinado to sweeten. Should I just make my own and be done with it?

Does anyone make or drink green smoothies or is this a fad?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
This is the perfect reason to make smoothies at hm. For those who don't eat enough fruits/veggies, this is the best way to get the nutrients you need as well as control what's going in it. A green one is the only one I haven't made. But I do know that ways most add a little sweetness to them is by adding some pineapple, or you could even add honeydew or kiwi etc, it's perfectly ok to make green smoothies with a mix of green fruits and veggies. I mostly make fruit smoothies with fresh and frozen fruit, ice, low fat yogurt and either almond or coconut milk. I never add sugar. Candice Kumai has amazing smoothie recipes if you want to check out her website candicekumai.com.

Here's a smoothie I had last week along with a healthy breakfast. I needed to finish eating some leftover ground turkey, a ground turkey omelet with spinach, mushrooms, mozzarella. And strawberry, banana, mango, peach smoothie

ImageUploadedByPG Free1408109362.226194.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1408109394.556857.jpg

You can use lowest coconut milk, as well as low fat/fat free yogurt. I need some fats lol. I'm 112lbs, if I cut fat everywhere, even if for a week I'll lose several lbs.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My husband and I tried to make Green Juice for a little while, but the juicer we had actually "juiced out" or removed a lot of the fiber in the vegetables, so we're on the road to get a new blender to make smoothies, as you said. It will have more fiber and good stuff, but we always get organic veggies if we're going to do the skin and all, because unorganic has pesticides on it.

In our experience, it was great! I found I did have more energy, and it felt really good to take care of myself and my husband, making him juices to drink at work. We just haven't really had time in preparing for the end of summer (I start school again, and hubby has lots of seasonal work, still)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL,Meoshia, I had to change what browser I was on to see your pics, but that breakfast looks great! It looks like you must enjoy cooking--I wish I did. :( If I had someone who went to the store for me and came home and cooked everything for me I would have it made!! Hahahaha

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
LOL,Meoshia, I had to change what browser I was on to see your pics, but that breakfast looks great! It looks like you must enjoy cooking--I wish I did. :( If I had someone who went to the store for me and came home and cooked everything for me I would have it made!! Hahahaha

You are too funny! Well I think it's cool that you want to add some healthy things to your diet. I have seen a pic of you on here and you are beautiful my dear. It's kinda time consuming making smoothies but once you get a routine, it's a breeze. I just hate the cleanup after lol. And I do enjoy cooking 😊

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Green smoothies are brilliant (and smoothies in general). If you're not really into eating fruits and veg, then I'd say it's perfect for you as it'll help you eat a ton in one go. :p Eating more fruits and veg really does make a difference in terms of energy levels, better skin, feeling better, etc.

Pre-made ones often have unnecessary stuff added like sugar so I prefer to make mine at home, especially seeing they're so easy to make. I never add sugar in mine. I sweeten them with fruits that are naturally quite sweet like banana, pineapple, peaches, honey melon, etc.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I don't eat green smoothies but I make a mean fruit smoothie. I don't add any sweetener or use any dairy. As long as you're adding bananas and they're ripe (spots and browning on the outside), you won't need sweetener. Yum!

Edit: I forgot that I add green powder now, so I guess I AM drinking green smoothies... They're just not green. :)

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I haven fallen in love with green smoothies over the summer. I hate cooked veggies but I love them in a homemade salad. I was kind of getting bored with salads so I tried the green smoothie thing. I put two cups of baby spinach, two carrots, a cube or two of sweet potato and several types of fresh fruit (banana, mango, blueberries pineapple, peaches....whatever is in season). I use soy or almond milk, vanilla Greek yogurt and some ice. Yummy! Veggies have never tasted so good.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I haven fallen in love with green smoothies over the summer. I hate cooked veggies but I love them in a homemade salad. I was kind of getting bored with salads so I tried the green smoothie thing. I put two cups of baby spinach, two carrots, a cube or two of sweet potato and several types of fresh fruit (banana, mango, blueberries pineapple, peaches....whatever is in season). I use soy or almond milk, vanilla Greek yogurt and some ice. Yummy! Veggies have never tasted so good.

I'm totally gonna try this 😊. I have all of those veggies and fruits that you just named. And you don't like veggies cooked? I love cooked veggies! I see what you mean about getting bored with salads though. Thanks for sharing your smoothie recipe 😊

·
Registered
247 Posts
My daughter was on the green smoothie kick a couple years ago. We love our Vitamix. She was doing lots of spinach and kale with fruit and sometimes yogurt. I like the green algae juice drinks ( Naked Juice green machine) but I've never actually just bought the algae and made my own.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love spinach-cooked or not! I also love cooked squash, but I, too, prefer salads or uncooked over cooked. The problem is I rarely WANT vegetables or fruit. I have to force myself to eat them because I know I should. lol

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have had squash and I love it. But I don't know how to cook it 😔. I too love spinach cooked or uncooked 😊.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had squash and I love it. But I don't know how to cook it . I too love spinach cooked or uncooked .
Squash is easy the way I cook it, but it may not be the healthiest! lol I take my squash and wash it really well and cut it in rounds about 1/4' thick at the most (or even not that thick). Then I also cut a small to med Vidalia onion in very thin rounds. Put both in a sauté pan with just a small amount of water, salt, and pepper and let it simmer on medium to low for about 15 minutes and it's done.

If your not worried about health, you can add butter for flavoring; if you are trying to be healthy, you can add a bit of beef bouillon for flavoring. Takes 5 minutes prep time and 20 minutes total.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Squash is easy the way I cook it, but it may not be the healthiest! lol I take my squash and wash it really well and cut it in rounds about 1/4' thick at the most (or even not that thick). Then I also cut a small to med Vidalia onion in very thin rounds. Put both in a sauté pan with just a small amount of water, salt, and pepper and let it simmer on medium to low for about 15 minutes and it's done.

If your not worried about health, you can add butter for flavoring; if you are trying to be healthy, you can add a bit of beef bouillon for flavoring. Takes 5 minutes prep time and 20 minutes total.

Thankyou Tina. I will try it your way. I'm always up got trying new things. I love love food lol😋

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou Tina. I will try it your way. I'm always up got trying new things. I love love food lol��
You're welcome. Oh, I love love food too. Unfortunately, not the kind that's good for me! lol :coolwink:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I went to Tropical Smoothie Café today and had a green smoothie, and OMG!!! That is WAAAAAY to good to be good for you! I just know I will never be able to make one myself that good. As per their website it has spinach, kale, mango, pineapple, & banana. They also say they use turbinado. My mom didn't like it and said it tasted like ground up pea shells. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts