Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the little toothbrush shaped chewables made by "Greenies". It's an edible chew and is supposed to help bad breath and teeth cleaning.
This was the small size about 4" long and Sophie ate the whole thing yesterday while I was work and the wife was home.
Later that evening she got Diahrrea for the first time in a month or so and it's still kind there this morning. I had to get up twice last night to let her out too. That never happens anymore
Does anyone have experience with these chew toys and could that be the cause of the Diahrrea?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feadback. I just read some bad stuff about them causing blockages too. Kind of scary.
It seems like the Kongs are the only safe toy out there. She has one of those ropes too but I guess they can eat threads and get blockages that way.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Anything can cause problems, really. When I was a kid, we would play with sticks ... now, parents won't let their kids play with sticks because someone could poke an eye out. Granted, none of my friends ever lost an eye, but there's always the possibility someone could have.

Dang it.. I'm ranting again.

Cooper eats Greenies and his poop is sometimes green-ish but no diahhrea... diarrhea... mega-poops.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Tom F said:
Thanks for the feadback. I just read some bad stuff about them causing blockages too. Kind of scary.
It seems like the Kongs are the only safe toy out there. She has one of those ropes too but I guess they can eat threads and get blockages that way.
I read that too several weeks ago, and I no longer give them to Jazzy. She really didn't care that much for them anyway, and yes, she did have diarrhea a couple of times after eating a part of one so it is possible that's what caused it.

I realize there is something negative about most of the chew products for dogs on the market, and I know we can go overboard in being protective to the point of being paranoid about every little thing. But since Jazzy really didn't care all that much for them anyway, I just decided to play it safe.

She now gets pig ears, and absolutely loves chewing on those. There are probably negative things about pig ears also, but I haven't seen anything as yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Scooby said:
Marcus loves the greenies and we have never had a problem. He has one almost every day. :D
Now I do not feel guilty giving one every other day to Mylo. When they get to small I take them away because he has almost choke on the last bit of one.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
chimom said:
She now gets pig ears, and absolutely loves chewing on those. There are probably negative things about pig ears also, but I haven't seen anything as yet.
Cooper + Pig Ears = MASSIVE diahrrea. But I still give them to him. (It's my own form of revenge since he's trained for outdoor poops. :lol: )

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Cooper said:
chimom said:
Cooper + Pig Ears = MASSIVE diahrrea. But I still give them to him. (It's my own form of revenge since he's trained for outdoor poops. :lol: )
See, I knew there had to be something negative. :lol: Seems as if we kept away everything that could possibly hurt them or cause a problem, we might as well put them in a glass bubble. :roll:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Oh... I don't think it's negative. I think it's revenge. Perhaps you misunderstood. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, Cooper on the other hand, he thinks it's just poopy. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
my guys eat the lil bits....to help avoid blockages cause they gulp them, well Kemo does :? I am thinking of stopping but they really love them....... :(

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That post about the dog dying from intestineal blockage due to greenies is so sad. This is not the first time I've read about this happening either, and I'm very glad I stopped giving them to Jazzy. Apparently the biggest concern is the fact that they don't break down and digest properly, plus there is the chance of choking.

In my opinion, just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Because of that I only give Gizmo greenies when I am around to keep an eye on him...he never has one unless I am around...and when it starts to get small I throw it away....I don't wanna risk nothing...

He loves his greenies :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
P-Nut said:
Scooby said:
Marcus loves the greenies and we have never had a problem. He has one almost every day. :D
I give P-Nut one every day... that is her favorite treat. I guy the huge bag of 60 or 72 Teenie Greenies :) She has not had any problems from them at all... she LOOOOOOVVVVEEEESSS HER GREENIES :)
Cooper and P-Nut would get along very well! LOL Cooper would just DIE without his Greenie every day.

I think when it comes to the Greenies, it's important to remember the cases where blockages were found, the dogs did not chew the bone well enough to have it digest properly in their body. Cooper chews and chews the Greenies and I don't worry one bit about him choking or having a blockage.

If your dog is a bite & swallow dog, I wouldn't give them anything soft like the Greenies where they can bite through it, swallow the piece whole and get a trip to the vet. If your dog will actually chew them like Cooper and P-Nut do, they're great treats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts