Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My wife and I are first time chi owners as of Feb. 03, 2011. We purchased a sweet little boy of 13 weeks old. He is a little bundle of joy. We really lucked out and he is already pee pad trained and has only gone off the pad once since we got him.

However, I am a bit worried. Today he only peed twice and pooped once. Is this normal? How frequent does a chi puppy relieve himself? Beforehand I imagined a dog this small to relieve himself very often as he should have tiny bladder. Can anyone help us? Should I be worried or am I being a worry wart?

He also sleeps a lot. I imagine this is normal since he is young and small but I read about hypoglycemia and I am worried that he is crashing. Is it normal for him to nap several times a day?

Thanks,
Josh & Ashley

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! I must say he is a doll!!

What kind of schedule is he on? What kind of food? Sometimes dog food can play into how much and how often they potty as well as the schedule they are on? I wouldnt be worried about this though ;-)

With the small babies you will need to keep some nutri-cal (can get at vets, online, etc..) or some Karo syrup or honey. I like the nutri-cal better as it has vitamins. I would give him some in the morning, in the afternoon and at night before bed time. This will help with any Hypoglycemia issues. Sleeping a lot is normal for a puppy. What you want to look for is him being lethargic, wobbly when walking, just a lack of energy all together. If this happens then get some of the above in him and get him to the vet. Also if they over exert themselves like playing to hard can cause it to. I am sure your baby will be fine. You are in the right place and you will learn so much here :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome, your boy is very handsome, you will get lots of helpful information here. Have fun with your puppy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply! He is basically on a human schedule. He sleeps through most of the night(as far as I know lol), wakes up at around 8 am and goes to bed at midnight(with TONS of napping in between). His play sessions generally only last about 15 minutes because he seems to lose interest after that and wants to nap. We feed him Medi-Cal which was given to use from the breeder. I just make sure there is always food as I don't know how much a chi pup should eat. I read 1/4 cup twice a day for adults but have no clue for puppy this size. I gave him a little dab of honey earlier today just as a precautionary measure. Also it is Acacia honey. Is this ok? How much should I be giving him? I got a tad bit on the end of a spoon and just dabbed a bit on his nose which he quickly ate. He doesn't seem wobbly when he walks but I have seen him wobble a couple times. I imagine this is normal since he is a pup and his footing isn't 100%? When he runs there is no wobble and is pretty much a straight line. He also trots quite a bit especially when I call him. I haven't seen much of a sprint except for when we walk in the door. I'm not 100% sure to what a low energy level is because I am inexperienced and never raised a dog or pup before.

I may be a little paranoid but he has a huge place in our hearts already so I just want to be sure he is ok. He is scheduled for his 2nd set of shots this coming week so he will be seeing a vet soon. I just want to make sure he is ok until then.

Your response is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Josh & Ashley

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome! What a little cutie! Yes it is completely normal for them to nap a lot.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts