Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I adopted a sweet little 9 year old chi this week named Tommy J. His human Mom died about 2 weeks ago. I cared for her intermittently for the past year on hospice. Tommy J and I always had a great bond and his Mom asked me to adopt him when he died. He had 3 chi pack mates at his old home. He was at his old home for about a week after his Mom died with his pack mates. The rest of the Chi's were adopted by others. He has come home with my 2 human sons (5 and 8), my husband and my 1 year old maniac Chi Frida.

I am wondering if you all have any suggestions for helping him ease into the house. He didn't bring anything with him from his old home. Frida has been a good citizen but is wanting to play with him. Tommy J is not interested as he is so shell shocked and nervous. My boys are giving him space and not touching him without adult help.

Thanks in advance!

Rylee, Frida and Tommy J

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh how sad,you seem to be doing all the right things with the TLC and giving him space,what a shame he didn't come with a special toy,has he got a soft toy to snuggle up to in his bed that he could call his own ? early days and i'm sure he will get better,keep us updated

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Good for you for taking him on. I'm so sorry his mom died. Just give him time to get used to you and the new house and he will come around. It took Reggie a few months to settle down and learn to play while with most the rest it took a lot shorter. He's a very nice looking little dog.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Awwww he looks so sweet. To bad he couldn't bring something from his other home. It may of helped but it may take him awhile to adjust

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Tommy J is getting the hang of things around our home. The past 2 days he has made tremendous strides. He is tolerating my maniac 1 year old chi Frida better. She just want to play play play. He's not so much in the mood but look what happened today- :hello1:

Rylee, Frida and Tommy J

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looks like he is adjusting just fine. Thanks for opening up your heart and home to an adopted dog. All of mine are re-homed, too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That last photo is SO cute! He seems to be adjusting. It may take some time, but you're obviously doing the right things because he seems to be getting more and more comfortable. Good job!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts