Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Do dogs usually start having body odor in hot weather?Its pretty hot here already I noticed I just took my chihuahua a bath and in a few days she smells as if it has been a month ago.An suggestions.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Are you brushing in between baths, that helps with the smell, they say they stink from us petting them, but not sure if that is true....something about our dead skins cells getting on them :?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus gets a bath every 2 weeks (usually, sometimes less), but in between I use those dog wipes and wipe him all over. They are suppose to pick up excess dander and they leave him smelling nice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Frasier gets wiped down with baby wipes and brushed between baths. The only time he's stinky is when he finds something "yummy" to roll around in outside. When that happens the smell comes from the shoulders mostly and parts of the back. Could she be finding things outside to get roll in?

·
Registered
568 Posts
It is pretty hot here in Texas and I don't notice any oder on my babies. Bella gets a bath every 2 weeks and Boo my Shih Tzu gets bathed more often due to all his fur. LOL!

Leslie

·
Registered
17 Posts
bath time

Hi

Yep, I use baby wipes with Carlota, too, she way prefers it to baths, but she gets those pretty regularly too. When Carlota had an ear infection one of her ears smelled sooooo bad. We treated the infection with antibiotics and when the infection went away so did the smell. If you think that the smell is "off" or that she is too clean to have that odor it might be worth asking the vet.
A quick question....are you giving the baths or do you take your dog to a groomer? Sometimes, if a dog is not dried properly after a bath it can produce bacteria and fungus that results in an odor. Baby powder is good for absorbing excess moisture.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:lol: Thanks everyone it seems to be summer hot sweats.I called the vet and thats what they told me anyway I just sprayed her with a great cologne that I bougth it is called Cologne for Pets Beautiful Princess Designer Fragrance originally for people now for pets. It sure smell good for all those gorgeous chis out there. Yes, I do give her a bath every week since she does suffer from severe allergies.I took Her to the groomers on Sunday she really needed a bath,nails trimmed, a brush.I take her in every month.She seems to smell better now. Thanks everyone for your advice.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww, what a cutie she is. I'll bet she can just look at you with those big eyes, and you'll just about give her anything she wants. :lol:

I bathe Jasmine about every 2 weeks, and never notice any bad odors. I use Lambert Kay Fresh N Clean shampoo and conditioner. It leaves her coat so silky soft, and has a great clean, fresh scent. What I really like about it is the scent lasts up to 10 days at least. I've tried many different shampoos and conditioners over the years, and this is the first one I've found that the scent will last more than 2 to 3 days.

·
Registered
487 Posts
how often to bathe

how often should i bathe a long haired chi? when i bathe her with the johnson and johnson baby shampoo she starts to smell in about a week. when i took her to the groomers, she has been stink free for 2 weeks. how much is too much?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use same - Oatmeal dog shampoo on Yoyo. Since he stays indoor all the time except his daily walk outside so I bathe him once a month is sufficient for a little one like him. :lol: Have never taken him to a groomer before. Just need to dry him good with towel or dryer...when needed to on cool setting. Hope this help! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.