Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I noticed when Im at work and come home theres never any poop there and zola does poop. So wheres the poop. Im thinking he eats it. When im there and I see him poop he goes to try and eat it and I stop him. But when Im not there what can i Do to stop him doing this. It cant be good for his belly, as he sometimes gets tummy upset and I think this is why?

Sorry If anyone is eating :oops:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
When Bindi used to eat her poo it made her very sick......the last two times though she was fine :roll:

if you arent trying forbid or some other deterant (which does not always work) then there is no other solution-your simply not there to stop it :(

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
KB mamma said:
When Bindi used to eat her poo it made her very sick......the last two times though she was fine :roll:

if you arent trying forbid or some other deterant (which does not always work) then there is no other solution-your simply not there to stop it :(
yeah some people ahve great luck with forbid and deter but others have no luck at all. if your not there to pick it up or correct it theres nothing you can do. but when you are home and you see him go for it make a loud noise (with a can filled with pennies) and clean it up before he gets the chance...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Poop Eating

Ok, :shock: that's a new one on me! In 38 years of chihuahuas, i have never known of one of mine to eat their own (or anyone else's) poop. Wow, that would be disturbing for you and i wouldn't have a clue how to stop it. Does it indicate some kind of deficit in the diet maybe? Just a guess cuz i sure don't know. I would be really interested in learning the cause and solution though. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Re: Poop Eating

JOLIE'SMOM said:
Ok, :shock: that's a new one on me! In 38 years of chihuahuas, i have never known of one of mine to eat their own (or anyone else's) poop. Wow, that would be disturbing for you and i wouldn't have a clue how to stop it. Does it indicate some kind of deficit in the diet maybe? Just a guess cuz i sure don't know. I would be really interested in learning the cause and solution though. :)
some dogs eat it just to eat it. others do it cause a lack of vitamins in their doet, some eat it cause of too much vitamins and minerals in their food the body doesn't process it fully and so the poop comes out like a meal. some dogs do it cause they want to hide it cause they get in trouble for going in the house..... it's carprophagia and it's pretty common.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

luv4mygirls said:
JOLIE'SMOM said:
some dogs eat it just to eat it. others do it cause a lack of vitamins in their doet, some eat it cause of too much vitamins and minerals in their food the body doesn't process it fully and so the poop comes out like a meal. some dogs do it cause they want to hide it cause they get in trouble for going in the house..... it's carprophagia and it's pretty common.

Ahhhhh..i found it,,,,, It's actually called "coprophagia"...
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

JOLIE'SMOM said:
Cooper never ate his own poop. He preferred OmaKitty's #2s. I took him to the vet for shots and asked her about it and she seemed really unconcerned with that (I was thinking my dog was going to grow up to be the kid eating paste in class) and she called them "doggie delicacies" and "doggie-style tootsie rolls". THANK GOODNESS he grew out of it because it would make me want to throw up when I'd come home and find a half-chewed kitty #2 on the living room floor. Nasty little thing! I remind him of those days when he's trying to convince me that he's smarter than I am. :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
None of my girls do that but two of my moms dogs eat poop...it never upsets their tummy's. We have a lot of people at work ask about that and the vets all say that its nothing that will harm them, unless they are eating other animals poop...they can catch all sorts of paracites by doing that :shock:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
My manchester terrier used to do it...its horrible to think about it but lots of animals in the wild do it so it cant be that bad for them

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As always good advice. thanks guys. I ALWAYS scoop then poop asap when I am there. I am there as often as I can be and my neighbour has him on days when Im not. But he is alone for some of the day so it cant be helped. So long as it is not harmful to him, that was my biggest worry

·
Registered
7,716 Posts

JOLIE'SMOM said:
luv4mygirls said:
JOLIE'SMOM said:

Ahhhhh..i found it,,,,, It's actually called "coprophagia"...
Thanks!

car co same difference :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts