Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Zoey is a big pain in my patooty sometimes! She has been on ground meats for the past week and has eaten really well, well this morning I gave her some small chunks (no bigger than a dime sized) of pork and she licked at them then walked away. So I cut them into tinier pieces, maybe the size of a pea or smaller, and she gobbled it right up. Would it be bad to feed her mostly ground/grinds meat, with bone in being mice or cornish hen chicken pieces? I guess I could put the meat in the little food processor before I feed her which would be kind of a pain, but doable, but then it's still ground. Are grinds really that bad? I'm just trying to find an easy way to get this girl to eat without me having to chop everything into itty bitty tiny bites. Which I don't understand as she will eat on the beef ribs & pork ribs & pork neck bones, but won't touch big, even small chunks of meat. The little stink!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Might she have something going on with her mouth like her jawbone hurting? Do you ever see her yawn & does she open her mouth wide without any kind of pain? Just a thought why she wants her food so small.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I love grinds--we do them pretty frequently. Some raw people say they're a bit no-no but whatever. haha I think the only reason why is because they are not getting the dental/mental work out as when they are given chunks. For us, giving big chunks at every meal is unrealistic because quite franky it takes up SO much darn time! I figure a grind is the next best thing & as long as they get bone in pieces for the dental/mental stimulation a few times a week it's perfectly fine.

It does however, seem like she's being a wee bit picky. If I were you I'd personally tough love it a bit. If you want to do some grinds, great. But I wouldn't spend time dicing everything up just because she won't eat it otherwise. That's just me. :)

Good luck & Miss Zoey--stop being such a stubborn little girlie!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The only problems with grinds is that there is a greater risk of bacterial contamination because of the increased surface area. Usually not a problem with most dogs. With Zoey - you'll have to be careful because of her immune status. But if you use fresh grinds, there shouldn't be a problem.

The other problem with grinds is a dental health issue. However, if you are giving bone-in meats and whole prey - she is getting a dental workout.

I'd do what works for you. If grinds work - then go on and use them! And don't feel guilty!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, she is such a picky little thing, I tell you that. She usually inhales things, and hasn't had problems with chunks too much in the past, just recently, and since Georgie attacked her, my dad says her throat still could be tender, so we are continuing with pain meds etc, going to do a little tough love but not too much until I know she is 100% better from her sore throat, eosophagitis. She's giving me gray hairs I'll tell you that much :) But I love her with every piece of my heart, more & more each day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts