Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok my little puppies (8 weeks) and growling when my daughter (8 years old) picks them up. I do not think they want to be bothered, she is not rough or wild with them. (she has a calm personality) They start wagging their tail after when they see it is her. They will snuggle, or they lick her.

My concern is as they grow older can this be a problem? (the growling) I do not want them biting her or being aggressive.

*edit to fix spelling

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would ask your daughter to make sure to speak to the puppies BEFORE she leans over to pick them up. Better still, would be to have your daughter sit down on the ground and have the puppies climb up on her. A growl is a sign they are not comfortable with what you are doing. Just like people say 'not now' please.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Growling is a way of communicating, not a bad behaviour in itself.
Your puppies are letting your daughter know that they are not happy/comfortable being picked up.
This could be for lots of reasons, but many small dogs find being lifted very scary.
If you persist with what you are doing and ignore the growling the dog has no choice but to tell you he doesn't like it with harsher 'words' so a growl will escalate to a snarl and eventually a bite.
You need to figure out why they are growling and address that. Do they only growl at her, and is it only when she lifts them?
Does it only happen when they are sleepy, or if she picks them up from a particular spot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts