Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some help!!! Poppy is over 5 months old, and every morning, there is poo or wee or both in her crate! I have had puppies before, and had no major probs, but I just don't know what to do with her! I am so tired, as I stay up until midnight so I can let her out as late as possible, but still every morning she has been in her crate. I get up early as well just to let her out, but she just can't seem to hold it. Also, I let her out and put her in her toilet area, and most times she just stands there and doesn't move! It's so frustrating! If the weather's ok and light, she'll just go to the toilet, but if it's rainy, windy or dark, she won't go! I am an easy going person, but waking up to poo everyday really isn't good, and I have 3 children who want to eat their breakfast without the smell of poo! She has been checked by a vet, and I've been told she is well and looking good. At the moment, I'm reading how to housebreak your dog in 7 days, but I seem to be doing a lot of what she suggests already! I want her to go totally outside. Also, if we eat our dinner, she often runs into the living room and poos, why??? I take her outside every hour during the day, and she's usually good at going outside during the day, it's just the overnight bit I'd like to sort out! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

·
Registered
165 Posts
what time do you feed her in the evenings?

Ive noticed if my pup eats quite late he will need a poo during the night, also if he has been playing alot later on say at 10pm and drinks alot he will wee in the night or need a wee very early in the morning,

Saying that she is still very young so maybe in time she will be able to hold herself for longer.

xx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I feed her 8.00am, and I've recently changed her evening feed from 7.00pm to 6.00pm, but that didn't make any difference! I set my alarm at 6.00am every morning to take her out, but most mornings she's usually already had a poo in her crate! I'm hoping it is just her age!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine just turned 5 months as well. He sleeps with me and does not use it in the bed. First thing when I wake up though is to take him outside, and he pees and poos, no matter the temp. If I don't take him out he will pee where ever I sit him. Before I was taking him outside I was using pee pads, it was hit of miss with poo'ing on it, and he rarely used it to pee on. He was poo'ing twice a day without going outside, now he is poo'ing 4 times a day, every time is outside. He hasn't wanted or need to pee inside anymore either. He isn't to the point of "letting" me know he needs to go potty yet though. He only will in the morening when I wake up. At nite before we go to bed it can be a long process as I stand there and watch him use it. He won't go in until he poo's. But because it's so cold, he doesn't want to do anything but stand shivering on 3 legs....he is getting the point though. I haven't used the treat system to reward him either. He is just so happy I pick him up and pay attention to him, that's enough for him.lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
How large is the crate you have her in? Puppies generally don't p[otty where they sleep. She should have just enough room to get up, maybe turn around and lay back down. If it's larger then that it is too big for her at this point. if she has room to get away from her sleeping area to potty she will continue to do so. When Quigley was a tiny puppy I rolled a towel up and put it in the back of his cage to make it smaller. It worked really well. You may have already tried that. It is just my suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies. I have thought about taking her to bed, but we do have a no pets upstairs rule, and I don't really want her so attached to me that I can't ever leave her!

Her crate is about 30 by 20 inches, and it has a plastic base and I put vet bed up one end. She's usually had a poo on the plastic bit, but saying that, yesterday, she'd weed and pood on her vet bed and was laying on it!!! :-/

I stand outside with her for half an hour at midnight some nights, and she just stands there and looks at me like I'm the most evil person alive for putting her there! How can I get her to go if she just won't? I try and stay positive and encourage her cheerfully, but my god, it's a nightmare! I know she must need one!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Have you considered putting her in a playpen at night? You could stick potty pads at one end and her bed at the other. Then she could get up and potty as she needed to during the night, without doing it on her bed. You could use the playpen until she is old enough to hold it all night.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think she would jump out! I used to shut her in the kitchen at night, and she seemed to wee and poo more in the kitchen! She started jumping over the stair gate, so I had to crate her instead!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ditto Missy's idea! A play pen with a potty designated on one side will help encourage her NOT to potty on her bed anymore. But will still give her an opportunity to relieve herself if she truly has to go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is totally my personal Opinion: A lot depends on the background of your pup/dog. In my experience , dogs from kennels are harder to train. They have been in kennels for generations. What was once behavioral becomes genetic and is passed down.

pam in TX

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't know if true,,, but I'm thinking I read somewhere once that
however old a puppy is, is the hours they can hold thereselves to
potty. If that holds true,,, then she would only be able to hold herself
for five hours at a time. "??"

Give her time,, she is still a baby.
Good pottying habbits come with age.
Blessings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for your replies, I think maybe I am expecting too much of her. She is only a baby still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts