Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna is 8 weeks old and I was trying to guess how big she will get. The lady I got her from said between 4-5. Zeus is about 10 months old and is 2.5 lbs. Will he get any bigger?

Just wondering if anyone had any guesses on Luna's size and if she will be much bigger than Zeus is. Upload some photos of your babies if you want so I can compare!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooo Charlie is so cute. :)

I thought she might be a bit bigger. She only weights about a pound now though. I think she looks taller than rounder. ;) She's about 1/3 the size Zeus is.

Zeus was about the size Charlie was at eight weeks. Here is one of Zeus at 10 weeks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Charlie weighed under a 1lb at 8 weeks by looking at her in your hand I would say she is about the same size Charlie was at 12 weeks. She.s very cute she has long legs I think that's what makes her look bigger Charlie has the shorter legs. The best way to know is to find out what the parents weighed usually it goes by what the dad weighed. Charlie's Dad was only 2.5 lbs and I figure Charlie will probubly be around the same he.s almost 6 months old now and he's not quite 2 lbs.very cute puppy's are you going to breed.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Actually I was just going through my pictures and I would say your right Zeus was the same size as Charlie at 8 weeks.I wouldn't say Luna is going to be huge probubly around 5 maybe 6 lbs which is still a very small dog I have a 5 lb pappilon and he is very small.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It's always very hard to tell at such a young age. You can follow her weight as she ages and compare it to the Chihuahua growth chart, but that is not always accurate. I would guess how big she will be based off what her parents weighed. If they were between 4-5 lbs, she probably will be too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lady I got her from said mom was 6lbs and dad was 5, but Luna was the runt and very small compared to her siblings. Either way, I love her and can't wait to buy her some cute dresses and harnesses!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I wouldn't count on her being bigger than 6lbs then. Maybe she'll be between 4 or 5. Ah, pretty dresses and harnesses are so much fun! I had to have a little girl because I wanted to buy her pretty things, hehe. Poor Gemma just views it as torture, though, lol. She has a beautiful pearl beaded necklace made by Wicked Pixie here and a cute leopard print dress I ordered from Elaine here, but she hates wearing them! She even hates putting her harness on, but she forgets about it once we're outside and having fun. She just wants to be nude all the time! :p

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wouldn't count on her being bigger than 6lbs then. Maybe she'll be between 4 or 5. Ah, pretty dresses and harnesses are so much fun! I had to have a little girl because I wanted to buy her pretty things, hehe. Poor Gemma just views it as torture, though, lol. She has a beautiful pearl beaded necklace made by Wicked Pixie here and a cute leopard print dress I ordered from Elaine here, but she hates wearing them! She even hates putting her harness on, but she forgets about it once we're outside and having fun. She just wants to be nude all the time! :p
I need to get a girl chi in the future for cute bedding and pretty harnesses!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It's hard to pick a puppy's adult weight from their weight as a baby, looking at the parents will give you a more accurate indication.

To give you an example my older 2 are half siblings. When I got my boy at 9 weeks he was 1.5lb, when I got my girl at 8 weeks she was 2.2 lb now at 1 year and 10 months respectively they are both 4.6lb - obviously it's the shared genes that mmake them a similar size, the chi growth chart would have my girl at 6lb by now.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hahaha a nude puppy is a happy one! Zeus gets really grumpy when I put sweaters on him when its cold outside. How much does your Gemma weigh? She is tooooo cute! I just love her face!
So true!

Aww, thank you for the compliments about Gemma! I haven't weighed her in a month, but I think we're actually walking to the vet's tomorrow just to weigh her really quick, as long as it's not pouring out! Her last weight was 2.5lbs. I'm betting she's around 3lbs now, maybe just under. She's just a bit over 5 months old.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It does not matter what her parents were, what matters is their lines. My girls parents were 5 and 6 lbs, but Izzie is 4 lbs and Bella is 8.5 lbs. They stayed on the charts pretty well, but Izzie is a pound smaller than she charted (but she got very sick at 5 months so that may have stunted her a little) and Bella is .5 lbs heaver than she charted. So you can never REALLY be sure.. it just gives you a guesstimate.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It does not matter what her parents were, what matters is their lines. My girls parents were 5 and 6 lbs, but Izzie is 4 lbs and Bella is 8.5 lbs. They stayed on the charts pretty well, but Izzie is a pound smaller than she charted (but she got very sick at 5 months so that may have stunted her a little) and Bella is .5 lbs heaver than she charted. So you can never REALLY be sure.. it just gives you a guesstimate.
Bella and Izzie are SO CUTE! I love how they look almost identical. Were they both born the same time?

True, Zeus turned out to be way smaller then I had expected but he also got sick and I think it stunted his growth as well. His dad was 3 and mom was 5 I think. He turned out to be about 2.5-2.7 lbs. Luna's parents look round i nthe photos the lady I got her from sent me. She said dad is 5lbs, mom is 6lbs, and her brother is 2.5 lbs (at 9 weeks). However, Luna is only MAYBE a pound right now at 9 weeks, so she is much smaller then her siblings by at least half their weight.

This is dad.

Mom is the white/brown one on the left.

Brother (he looks pretty big for 9 weeks but he is so cute).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yup, they are actually littermates, born at the same time, same parents, etc. Everyone thinks Bella is Izzie's mom tho.. everytime we go anywhere.

When was the last time you weighed Luna? You should swing by a vets office and get her weight just so you know for sure. And since your lil guy is 10 months old, he will get a lil bigger, but not much. Mostly just bulk up. But they won't stop gaining weight til about 18 months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts