Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the post about barking and trying to train your dog not to bark. I was wondering, if they bark what do you do? Do you put your hand gently around the nose and say no or do you just say no? what kind of guidance/disipline do you use that works for you?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There are many schools of thought on training dogs so you'll probably get many different answers here... hopefully one will work for you.

I would ignore barking completely. Giving attention to barking tells the dog it's okay to do it and that he or she gets attention for doing it. I would find a time when the dog is quiet and "teach" the quiet command by saying "good quiet" - if you want to use treats, then do. Also, in a situation where they would want to bark, you might pre-empt it with a "good quiet" or snap your fingers before the bark and say "shhh".... then follow it with a "good quiet".

Dumb Friends League has some other suggestions for barking and how to stop it as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jazzy really doesn't bark much at all. She doesn't bark when someone is at the door or when people walk by outside. About the only time she really barks is when the neighborhood cats come around. I'm in agreement with Cooper's mom on this. Unless it starts getting really out of hand, I just ignore it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read about a technique that sounds interesting. You need to be in a position where the dog can not see you when they are barking (another room). As soon as they start, you clang to pots or pans together loud enough to startle them into stopping.
This is supposed to lead them to believe that their barking caused the loud sound.
It's important that they not see you make the noise.
I have not tried it yet since barking has been minimal to this point.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Tom F said:
I read about a technique that sounds interesting. You need to be in a position where the dog can not see you when they are barking (another room). As soon as they start, you clang to pots or pans together loud enough to startle them into stopping.
This is supposed to lead them to believe that their barking caused the loud sound.
It's important that they not see you make the noise.
I have not tried it yet since barking has been minimal to this point.
My infamous balloon technique is good for that as well. Just pop the balloon when they bark. Plus, you won't spill whatever you're making for dinner. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I ahve tried the shhhhhhhh, no bark on Daytona for 3 years. I also smack a fly swatter on the table. he still doesnt stop. I have heard to teach them to bark and give a treat and then teach them to not bark and give a treat.That is has to be reversed. I havent gotten him to bark on command though :( SO I gave up lol.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
vixe doesnt bark much in general but my parents spaniel barks at any little thing he things shoudlnt be...and whne he barks if vixie things its worty of her attention (and mine) shell bark too, so for her i took a handfull of tiny soft treats (puperonie cut tiny tiny works reeealy well) and let her bark once or twice then i said ok thats enough as soon as she stopped she got a treat. i repeated the process mabe 10 times total and now if she barks all i have to say is ok thats enough and she stops barking.
chis have a tendency to bark when they think you need to know something (there not naturally barky dogs despite the rumors) so insesant or constant barking is usually because the dog has gotten confused and things you want it to bark more.
best bet is to ignore the barking and give a verbal comand..
the first few times might o like this *bark bark back* Ok thats enough *bark bark bark bark* ok thats enough *bark bark* (quick pause for a break offer treat at this point as soon as they hush, even if there not purposly stopping...
do this enouh and try and get the enough as close to the pause as possible and reward as soon as theres quiet.

hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts