Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm terribly guilty of spending more time on chi forums and other chihuahua pages, shopping for chi toys, trying to homecook chi-sized treats...
My chi, Nike, seems to cheer me up and be there for me more than my son who just constantly fusses :(
I even talk to her more than my son...
Anyone else have a real baby and feel like they sometime treat their puppies better than their own?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Please involve your son as well,they grow up so fast don't miss those vital years.How old is he ? Do things that involve all 3 of you

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
We all love our chis and they are always there for us yes. But your sone is your baby and if you don't start maybe spending more time with your son your chi might start playing up. As chis do and can get to possessive and you don't want to start a war between you son and your chi.
Like Michele said maybe do things that involve all 3 of you. Try get your son to make the treats with you (if he is young enough).
Go for walks with your son and take your chi with you.
Just a few suggestions

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My son's just 3 months old. He's at his crying stage.
I do sit him up when he behaves and let my chi lay down on his lap too. He's just soooooo... fussy...I have to put him down :(
I raised dogs a good bit of my life but never a human baby. I don't get human babies :(
I do joke about lifting him by the foot caveman style and asking what the heck i do with this thing...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh how I wished my Son was still here, he passed away 8 years ago in Nov. Amberleah helps with that sadness. My Husband is jellious of Amberleah he says I love her more than him. LOL

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad she cheered u up :)

I do love my son, it's just a cute well behaved dog is soo much easier to spoil than a constantly crying baby.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Oh how I wished my Son was still here, he passed away 8 years ago in Nov. Amberleah helps with that sadness. My Husband is jellious of Amberleah he says I love her more than him. LOL
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that
Xxx(hugs)xxX
But pleased you now have your little girl to make those bad days not so bad. And my husband Is jelious to hehe

·
Registered
801 Posts
Pastel - I have two boys, the first was the closest thing to perfect you could imagine for a baby. Never sick, slept through the night from day one. Walking at 10 mos, off the bottle by 11 mos and potty trained by 2yrs.

I thought babies are a breeze...what's all the fuss! Then my younger son came along. He was born with a not fully developed digestive track, which caused him to projectile vomit during and after every feeding and because of he threw up what he ate, he was hungry all the time and rarely slept. That went on for two months before we finally found a formula he could digest. Not to mention two hospital stays. Nothing ever came easy for him. He barely talked, he was slow to walk, potty training took years.

Now that little fussy baby, is about to graduate High School and has already been accepted in the Air Force and in about four months I have to say send him out into the real world. And it seems just like yesterday I was rocking him at night saturated in his overspill and my tears. They grow up so fast and then they are gone. You do not want to miss one single minute with them.

If you need a place to vent come here, if you need a friend to talk to I will be more than willing to be a sounding board, and if you can't get past these feelings, you may need to talk to your doctor. You could be suffering from PPD and not even know it.

My heart goes out to you

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think I would be the same as you. I know I would love my Son if I had one but it seems like a lot of work and I would be a bad Mom. Who knows maybe I would take to it really well. I don't want to find out right now though lol.

I think that as taking care of him gets easier you will learn to spoil him more than your Chihuahua or maybe not. After all I think having a child is not about spoiling them. You can spoil a chihuahua all you want, after all it is not a human that has to grow up and learn to live in this complex society. Maybe it's better that you don't fuss over him every waking moment. Babies do need love and attention which I know you are giving him but I know some people who were fussed over and everything they ever wanted was given to them and now they cannot function in adult hood. As long as you try then everything is a-okay and I know you are because you said that you like to have them together which is a great start but I know it can be difficult at 3 months. I had to watch my uncle's kid at three months and I couldn't do it. He would not stop fussing!!!

As for me. I spend more money on Sky than I do on my fiance or myself. I only have very little money but when I do I'm always making lists of things I want for her or things I think might make her life even more fun and exciting. I buy her a lot of toys and little clothes and anything to make her happy. I talk to her more than my fiance sometimes but it's just because they are dogs! They listen but don't judge. They don't talk back or poke fun. They love without wanting anything back but love. How can I not talk to her more?! For instance, if I tell her I had a bad day she will wag her tail and jump up to kiss my face. If I tell my fiance I had a bad day he will probably say that he is hungry! XD

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I spend all my extras on Nike, to my husband's dismay. I'll eat cereal all day if I can get 1 more toy or a cute outfit for her :D Grandma and grandpa (my parents and inlaws) buys everything my son needs, basically. I think for Elias, we bought some cloth wipes, 2 boxes of diapers (he's gone through 6 so far), and different kinds of bottles because he was suppperrrr colicky at first. Apart from that he has a closet(drawer) full of clothes, and a room packed with toys! He hasn't learned to play with any of his toys though. I wish he would coz I'm the constant source of his entertainment and I'm exhausted 5 hours in.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Have you checked with your doctor about reflux? A 3 month old that is that fussy has some issue. Perhaps milk source (you or formula) has something that does not agree. Do you swaddle? Is he on a routine? Is the environment calm and secure feeling for him? Could you join a mommy group that would help you cope/give you ideas/help support/encourage you? It would be awful if his constant crying caused you to disengage emotionally.

I love my girls almost more than anything but my human kids (mine are adults) would be my priority if still at home. My husband also comes before the girls and folks here can tell you that I am semi-obsessed with my babies!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His stomach problems are a lot better now. I did join babycenter forums and I read it a lot. Seems a lot more fast paced and I'm a bit intimidated though.

I think he's just one of those babies who constantly want to be held or played with, but does not like the moby wrap, does not like the ergobaby carrier, and is in the 95th percentile of babies and I'm right under 100 lbs so I have a hell of a backache after half an hour :(

He's just exhausting and my chi cheers me up so it's soo easy for me to want to spoil her.

Haha, I guess this is getting off-topic from chichat now :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well obviously if you are ignoring a crying baby to play with your dog than thats not good.. lol But realistically if you have difficult baby and your dog decompresses you and brings you some joy and peace so you dont go nuts - then spoil your dog some! 3 month old colicky babies are no fun. I know I had one too.

It's all about balance. Your babies needs need to be tended too and so do yours. If your chi is fulfulling those needs dont feel bad about that.

I come home every day and spend time with my dogs first. My daughter is preteen with aspergers and health problems and I need to decompress between work and family and that where the dogs come in. If I just go straight to her I'm less patient so I dont feel guilty for playing with the dogs first. It helps me be a better mom in the long run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts