Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always noticed that when we come inside Jaxx goes straight to the kitchen and sits on the rug in front of the sink until I come give him a treat (which are stored right off the kitchen in the utility room). I thought that is just a way that I trained him without meaning too. I always say lets get your treat when we come inside (now that he is house trained...before I carried the treats with me.)
The other day I noticed when I was doing laundry he was sitting on the rug at the sink watching me. He did not move until I closed the utility room door and went into the living room.
So I began watching every time I open the utility room door he goes straight to that carpet.
I noticed that when I say "food" to tell him its time to get his food he goes straight to the carpet as well (his food is in the utility room.)
I trained him that he has to sit to get his treat so that he is not jumping and tripping me while I am trying to get it for him but I did not mean for him to start going to that carpet every time I open the door. I don't give him treats unless he does something like go outside or we are working on training...but somehow he has decided that whenever the utility room door opens he is going to sit there to see if anything good comes out for him.
Does anyone's else have a chihuahua has habits like this.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
LOL - sometimes they are training us! I read in a book about how to teach a puppy to drop something he'spicked up off the floor that he shouldn't have. You keep treats handy and when the puppy has something in his mouth you take the treat to him and trade for whatever he's got. Good in theory but what happened with Taz was that instead of learning to release things, she started picking up things from all over the house and bringing them to me so she could get a treat! The first time she did it I thought it was just a coincidence but the third time in a row that she did it I knew she had reasoned out how to get a cookie.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Haha that sounds so cute! Jaxx is training you well LOL. All of ours run to the fridge now whenever my cell phone goes off. I have 2 alarms set on it so that we remember to give Julian his meds. Well, they all eat at the same time so... they learned pretty quick what it means when they hear the tune hehe.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Lol. Quinn and Leah will sit by the bookshelf by the front door on their hind legs when they come in from going potty. They know the bag of treats is on the top of the shelf. They have to be up high to keep them from my brothers Lab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.