Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Mango (6 months) does this “hacking” sound and it makes me worried. She doesn’t do it very often though. Maybe once a day or every other day. I noticed that whenever I come home from work she gets really excited to see me and jumps all over the place wanting me to pick her up, then she starts making that hacking noise. It sounds something like if she had a hairball stuck in her throat and she’s trying to cough/hack it up. It almost sounds like a honking.

Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You sure it's not a harmless reverse sneeze? Many chi's start reverse sneezing when they get all worked up and excited.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
my guy hacks too sometimes! i think it's harmless, silly small "hairballs" since he loves to eat up my hair on the floor :( LOL. it should be fine if it only lasts a couple secs

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like reverse sneezing to me too!! You can search for it on youtube and there will be lots of examples and you can compare it to what she does and see if that's what it is. If so - harmless. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nugget does the same thing when he's excited, or when he drinks water too fast. He'll work up a big yawn, and then *hack*. Only once have I seen him have a reverse sneezing fit like in the Youtube videos. I didn't know what it was at the time, and I was worried about him, so I looked it up.

I was relieved to find out it's normal.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Jazz has those episodes usually when she drinks too fast. Occasionally they'll just happen out of the blue. But she does it every day or two. Tango on the other hand has that happen so seldom that I freak out when I hear it coming from him! And then I have to remind myself that it's normal, even though it's not typical for him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts