Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a tick on Izzy...we were able to get it off but am very worried about it happening again....any suggestions ??

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Not to worry!! Haha It's a normal thing with ticks here in TN!! Just keep checking them especially after walks. No biggy. I pulled one off Midgie yesterday & myself too! YuK!! Disgusting critters!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just sick when I felt that on her...this was a first for us....tomorrow I am going to look into a pet friendly insecticide spray for the yard....Thanks for the reassurance :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Kathleen, this has been the worst year in my memory for ticks in the yard! I especially worry about Bear as he is outside 90% of the time. We have him on Advantix which has been a big help, and our son treated our yard.. but hubby still occasionally finds one on Bear. They always get around his eyes!!:foxes15: You just have to be diligent to check them daily..even when you have treated the dog and the yard. Nasty little critters.. I hate ticks!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ugh ticks are the worst. I would say to just be vigilant and check them over carefully. Check behind and inside their ears and also between their toes. Vile creatures. :(

Deer ticks spread disease so be aware of that also. If you can get the ticks off before they get embedded and engorged, they are less likely to pass on a tick borne disease. Be alert to any changes in behavior after a tick bite and don't hesitate to have your vet pull a tick panel if you have any worries.

When Brody had his eye problem, the opthamologist sent a blood panel off to check for tick borne disease TWICE as sudden blindness can be caused by that. Luckily it was clear but the Dr said he sees a lot of it and it can go undiagnosed for a long time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I hate ticks too thank goodness we don't get to many around here but then again maybe my dogs don't get them because I use advantage for fleas and ticks.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
There's also a lot of little things you could do like keep your grass cut short as ticks don't like heat; they prefer shade under trees & moist places. Short grass also allows the sun to reach the soil which fleas don't like either. Be careful not to kill off all the ants in your yard as ants will eat the flea larvae left in the yard.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are just now starting to cut the grass so hopefully that will help...and we have lots of ants...On the yuck scale, I would say yesterday morning was about an...11 ...LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts