Chihuahua People Forum banner

Had a Real Scare Tonight

873 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
Tonight, I took our little one out to do her business. She had just finished and was smelling around when our neighbor's dog from across the street saw Tippi. That dog has to weigh at least 150 pounds or more. He has never been aggressive toward me but this is the first time he has been loose while Tippi was outside.

When he saw her he came charging very very fast toward her. She managed to get up on the porch ahead of the big dog. The huge dog was just about to grab her when I reached the top of the stairs. I shoved him back down the stairs but he kept coming back. I managed to get the door open in time for Tippi to run inside as I dealt with the big dog. The next time I will be on the lookout to see if any dogs are loose before taking her out. This was a very close call.

Have any of you ever had anything like this to happen to your little one?

#3 ·
Since the huge dog scared our little one severely, she will not potty outside after dark. Any suggestions on how we can overcome her fright? She is afraid of loud sounds anyway. When we got her she had never been outside of a house, she was inside with several of her siblings and owners. So she is one skittish little lady.

#4 ·
Yes it's super frightening. Back in the early summer I took mine for a walk and ran straight into two dogs that appeared friendly. One a Boston the other a Staffordshire terrier. The Boston suddenly turned on my pup and chased her into the path of the other, which grabbed her and swung her round. It was horrendous, she was screaming, I was screaming, the leashes were all tangled up (which actually saved my pup's life as the Staffordshire couldn't bite down hard) and thankfully the owner reacted quick. He grabbed his dog and yanked mine free. One vet visit later and apart from a few cuts in her ears and a slight neck tilt which luckily resolved itself, she was unharmed. It's left a lasting impression on both of us though, she doesn't like other dogs and unless it's another chihuahua I won't let her near them. Things can escalate so fast it's not worth the risk. I also think a lot of dogs see chihuahuas as no different to a rabbit or cat.

#6 ·
Seems like things go from bad to worse, our little one is so afraid of going outside now that she panics when I take her out. Last night one of our other neighbors let their dog out while we were outside. I had a text so I was reading it, I looked up to see their dog, which is much larger than our little one, right at my feet. I spoke firmly to the dog and it left, but Tippi is so afraid to go out it is unreal. I don't know what the answer is but something has to change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.