Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning the toilet this evening when Boo came in and sat down to watch. No problems she usually does that and will talk with me. Well Honey came in too and pushed Boo out of the way causing her to go to my left side where I had the Comet can, and yes before I could pick it up she licked the top of it! I threw the brush in the toilet and the can in the toilet and started screaming for my husband. We both got her in the tub and and flushed her mouth out with lots of water. My husband called the vet and she said we did good by working so fast and that it was a good sign she wasn't vomiting or drooling and to give her some pepto-bismol and watch her.

So far no ill effects but from now on she will never ever be allowed around me while I clean. I literally lost ten years of my life.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You could not have known that that would happen but at least you have maternal instinct and acted immediately! I am glad she is ok.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Yikes! glad you acted quickly! so strange what some dogs will lick/eat.. my guys would have sneezed and backed away after sniffing the comet! they hate any type of chemical cleaner.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Eeee I would NOT give Pepto in the future. Vet's advice or not, Pepto could possibly stop your pet from expelling/vomiting any ingested chemical. You want their system to be able to work naturally to eliminate something like that, or potentially even induce vomiting. I doubt your little one actually got any in their belly but I can't believe the vet told you to do that!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand your concerns, but for Boo that is the only OTC stomach medicine she can have due to digestive problems she already has. I think last night is was more just to soothe her mouth as the vet told us to give her a third of what we usually give her.

And today she seems no worse for the wear but I do swear I have new gray hairs upon my head, LOL

Thank you everyone for your kind words, it amazes me to no end what dogs will and won't eat.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Glad she is okay! I have had scares like that in the past with different dogs of my own and fosters. I keep charcoal and peroxide in the house to help induce vomiting if need be. It's scary stuff when our pups get a lick of something toxic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts