Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought because I was feeding raw & high fiber diets that the expression of anal glands was a thing of the past. I've noticed for a while now Midgie dragging her bottom but shrugged it off as just an itch. I took her to the vet today & they took her to the back room. Sitting in the waiting room, I hear the god-awefullest scream of death! (Lol) Everyone in the building stopped what they were doing & looked at each other & you could hear them saying Aweeeee....... not knowing what screamed like that. The vet tech said she didn't scream when the glands were expressed; she screamed when they sprayed her bottom. I wonder if it stung. She was probably just being a big baby since I wasn't in the room with her which I usually am. Haha She definitely acts like she feels much better.

Do chis have to have their anal glands expressed regularly or is it just a call as needed? I've heard that if you express them too much, their glands will fill up quicker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I read that the more you do it the quicker they fill. I've never had a puppy of my own and I got to admit this was something I hadn't heard of until I began volunteering at the loc animal shelter.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I take Lulu to the groomer about every 3 months or so and they do it and bathe her and charge $10. instead of $14. plus $25. vet fee. for vet. I just do it routinely because Lulu got sick one time from needing her glands expressed when she was younger; then if ya'll remember that is how I found this forum was problem with anal gland.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Bailey had to have hers done quite a bit then I changes to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient and she hasn't had problem since.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I've never had to get any of my dogs anal glands expressed except for my family's first dog when I was a little kid, a Cocker Spaniel. I have no idea how common it is in Chihuahuas, though. I've had three and a chi mix and never had a problem. Depends on the dog and what they eat, I guess.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Latte, Tootsie, and Peyton have never had to have it done. Minnie has had it done several times. i dont get her done on a regular basis, only when i feel she really needs it. i just think the less the better. also i dont want just anyone doing it. i only trust my vet.

i also want to add that Minnie eats the exact same thing as the other 3 dogs, so i think its genetic... and even at that.. Minnie and Tootsie are littermates, but Minnie takes after her father and Tootsie takes after her mother

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I do my own as needed. Remember I was a vet tech lol I check every bath and if need be take care of it. Tale tale sign is butt dragging. My Sadie needs it more than other 3things but if you don't take care of it they can get impacted, infected, and in rare occasions call for surgery (I have only seen one surgery situation and it was because of neglectful owners let all the above happen and it ruptured)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Hey, Christie, since you were a vet tech can you answer the question...The more you express the glands the more they will need expressing? I have heard that also, but I can't remember where to know if it was a credible source.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Hey, Christie, since you were a vet tech can you answer the question...The more you express the glands the more they will need expressing? I have heard that also, but I can't remember where to know if it was a credible source.
I have never heard that but that does not mean it is 100% true or not. Things have changed over the years and I was a vet tech many years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts