Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miya went to the vet this morning for her 4th puppy visit. She's 5 months now. She got her 4th distemperment. The first 3 have been fine. Well we were home about 3 hours and she was really itchy. I put her coconut oil on her, didn't help. About 10 mins later my husband asks if her eye is ok...her face had swollen up very bad..I flipped out..I said "get her, let's go!". I ran out of the house with my keys and no bra and no shoes on lol. called the vet on the way. I drove like a maniac. I was so scared, she was breathing fine, just swollen badly. They took her back gave her some shots, all while i'm waiting in the wait room shoeless fighting tears. I'm not being dramatic..this is the scariest thing I've ever experienced. She is my best friend and this is our first, and hopefully last scare. She's fine now, we're home, she's napping, but still a little swollen. Thank heavens she is ok. I don't know what I would've done.

I didn't know that there could be allergic reactions to vaccines that she's already had. I wish the vet would have told me! I was getting ready to leave. What if I had left and she would've been home alone?!?!?! Never again...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She doesn't need any more shots. EVER. Have them mark her vaccine reaction in her chart. She is protected. She is immune. More shots do not boost anything, nor make them MORE immune. YOu are either immune or you are not. She is. Do NOT vaccinate her again, the next reaction could be fatal.

She probably still needs rabies. Wait as LONG as possible. Try to put it off until she's closer to a year old. Have her pre-treated with benadryl and a steroid.

I'm really glad you were home with her when she reacted.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She doesn't need any more shots. EVER. Have them mark her vaccine reaction in her chart. She is protected. She is immune. More shots do not boost anything, nor make them MORE immune. YOu are either immune or you are not. She is. Do NOT vaccinate her again, the next reaction could be fatal.

She probably still needs rabies. Wait as LONG as possible. Try to put it off until she's closer to a year old. Have her pre-treated with benadryl and a steroid.

I'm really glad you were home with her when she reacted.
ok I can see your point, but if this is true, why do so many vets say shots should be continued throughout the puppies life??? Money ok, I see that, but there has to be docs out there that have the dogs best interest in mind...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, that happend to me with Chloe after her 2nd round of puppy shots and it was so scary! Next round she was pre-treated with an anti-histimine and an anti-inflammatory and she was fine but i'm going to titer both my pups after their 12 month booster (my vet wouldn't agree to it before that :() to avoid any further issues. Hopefully you can find a nice vet who is happy to do the same for poor Miya. Hope your little sweetie is feeling better soon :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh my. How terrifying! I hate that they force these excessive vaccines on our dogs.

I agree, make sure it is marked that she CANNOT EVER be vaccinated again. You may need this if you want to go to classes, board her, or cross the border/fly her anywhere, since they'll ask for "up to date" vaccines.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Protocols are changing. Slowly, but they are changing as more people do research and the information gets out there. It is important to vaccinate against core diseases, but it is also important NOT to over vaccinate! The days of the yearly "boosters" are over. Any vet who is still following that protocol is not following the latest recommendations.

In 2003, and again in 2006, The AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) released its new recommendations for the Canine Vaccine Schedule. Unfortunately, all vets still do not follow these recommendations - so it is up to the pet's owner to be sure an appropriate and safe vaccine schedule is being followed.

CORE Vaccines for a canine (should be given to all dogs, unless a medical condition warrants otherwise):

*Distemper
*Parvovirus
*Rabies

NON-CORE Vaccines for a canine (should be given only when a dog has risk factors for the disease which exceed the risk of the vaccine):

*Corona
*Leptospirosis
*Lyme
*Bordatella
*Giardia
*Parainfluenza

So WHY do vets insist on the cocktail of vaccines and why so often? Follow the money. ;)

The TRUTH is that we are wayyyyyyyy over vaccinating our pets.

Here is a modified vaccine schedule -

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

Here's some more information if you are interested in learning more about vaccines and vaccine damage .....

Duration of Immunity

PET VACCINATION* An Institutionalised Crime by Catherine O'Driscoll

Science of Vaccine Damage

Are We Over Vaccinating Our Pets? by Loretta Baughan

Shots in the dark

What Vaccine Makers Aren't Telling Pet Owners: If Vaccine Immunity Really Lasts for Years, Why Annual Boosters? | Suite101.com

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have just been through this philosophical question myself, and can't understand vets. My previous vet (who like you, I really like) believes in annual 5 in 1 vaccination and has been a vet for 35 years. I have been studying this question for about 7 months now and believe that animals are being vaccinated too much. I don't understand how they can be doctors and not agree that they are over vaccinating to the animal's detriment. Especially when a titer can prove this in the majority of the cases. I hate to think it comes down to something so greedy as money at the expense of an animal. Sorry for my soapbox. That said. I would think no to Bordetello and I have not even heard of the flu shot, but my knowledge in extremely limited. It just ever hurts took look around and see what other vets in your area believe on the subject before you go with this one.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know exactly how you feel, that happend to me with Chloe after her 2nd round of puppy shots and it was so scary! Next round she was pre-treated with an anti-histimine and an anti-inflammatory and she was fine but i'm going to titer both my pups after their 12 month booster (my vet wouldn't agree to it before that :() to avoid any further issues. Hopefully you can find a nice vet who is happy to do the same for poor Miya. Hope your little sweetie is feeling better soon :)
Sarah, I can't get over how much Miya and Chloe look alike. They could be twins, with a little bit color difference!!! I'll have to send you some newer pics of Miya.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Wow Tiffany, what a day you had! Geeze!
Big hugs to you and hope your little one feels better soon!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ps: your new siggy is GORGEOUS! love it

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like her docs very much. In order to have her spayed, the require that she have bortatella and a flu shot....what should i do?
I have never heard of needing the bortatella for a spay:confused:
And I've not heard of a flu shot for dogs. I know some call the bortatella a cold/ cough/ flu preventative, but never knew of another one:confused::confused::confused:

I would pass on these extra shots.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a friend with a corgi that had his puppy shots and immediately started having seizures and to this day he cannot be left alone. He has violent seizures and she has had to quit her job and stay home or take him with her 24/7 due to his health issues. I will NEVER vaccinate my dogs EVER AGAIN!!!! I have seen many scares with vaccines and I just feel my babies are better off and healthier without them. Glad to hear your little girl is ok.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They are probably recommending bordetella because of the risk of her contracting kennel cough since she is in a hospital setting with ill dogs. The flu shot I would guess is parainfluenza which is usually part of the combination shot. I would NOT get either of these. The bordetella only covers a couple of the many many strains of kennel cough. I don't feel the flu shot is necessary and for me, the risks far outweigh the benefits.

I would ask to have her exempted from these vaccines. If they won't do it, then find another clinic to spay her.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My vet also has recommended annual 'shots'. I have it on the computer that I only vaccinate every 3 years. Now they have 3 year shots!! (the same vaccine! just labeled 3 year. Just like rabies!) I have changed groomers because they want to give my chi bordella 'because she is in the kennel area". I don't know any more. Other than that I like my vet. Sue

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hope she is feeling better now. I thought they only got 3 rounds of shots that is all my vet has recommended for Holly besides her rabies when she is old enough.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was going to say...why on earth did they give her a 4th??? :tard: There are only 3 shots in the typical parvo/distemper series. We've dealt with vaccine reactions before in puppies & it is SCARY! I'm sorry you went through that.

I agree with Tracy though--she will not need another parvo/distemper vaccination. Have a titer done when she goes in for her second rabies & it should satisfy the vet enough to exempt her from another parvo/distemper vac for a few years. I'd also wait as long as you can for the Rabies vaccination & pretreat w/benadryl. I can say that the puppies we've had with a reaction to the parvo/distemper vac was OK with the rabies wehre it's a different type of vaccination. But we still pretreated just in case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone! Miya is doing much better. She's up running around, waking me up to play on my only day to sleep in :rolleyes:!!! Although not an uncommon reaction, it was uncommon for me. I will not be vaccinating her anymore. She will not be getting anymore vaccines! If there's not a need for them, there's no need. I will begin spreading the word to all of my friends about vets overvaccinating their babies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.