Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every

Wolfie is now 20mths old and is still exceptionally thin. He has had loads of tests and is clear he is energetic, has natural stools etc.,

The problem is the place I got him from wasn't nice and I think he didn't get the proper nutrients from birth. I have tried him on all sorts of foods and finally took heed and stopped continually changing as he became fussier and fussier, down to me trying to hand feed him. He just doesn't seem to have much of an appetite and is not putting on weight. He is currently 4lbs. He has finally begun to get his hair but his hair on the spine isn't growing at all and makes him look ill. I think its were he is so thin that when he curls up his spine protrudes and the hair gets rubbed away.

Sorry for long post!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm also wondering what you are feeding, and also what kind of tests have you done so far?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Also, when was the last time you had him wormed? Do you use any type of monthly preventative?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is on Royal Cannine Chihuahua 28 adult. He was wormed a few months ago as was advised every
six months.

He had blood tests for liver function and some other diseases - everything came back ok. Apart from being really pickiy and hardly eating he is fine. When I take him over the park he runs round and round me in circles like a whirling dervish!

I love him so much and would just llike him to fill out a little.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He looks to be a blue brindle...blues can have problems with CDA -- color dilution alopecia. It's hard to tell with him because his fur loss is kind of patchy/sporadic. But that would be my first guess as far as an issue goes. I would possibly try a keratonin shampoo and conditioner/spray... http://www.amazon.com/Karatolux-Keratolux-Shampoo-16oz/dp/B00076NS5Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1342295787&sr=8-8&keywords=medicated+dog+shampoo not sure if you can get that over there but you might have something similar? It helps normalize hair follicles. I had to use it for a show dog that developed some skin/coat problems as a result of being shown and bathed a lot and it definitely helped quite a bit. You also might try a dose of daily melatonin for him as that can aid with coat growth in dogs with alopecia.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I think that the first step would be to get him on a better quality food. While Royal Canin is definitely not the worst out there, it is no where near the best.

Here are some good resources to investigate foods:
Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

I would go for a 4,5, or 6 star premium food. There are many people on here that have had dogs with similar issues that have cleared up 100% with a diet change.

Some brands that come highly recommended on this site are Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Acana, Orijen, Ziwipeak (air dried raw diet), James Wellbeloved (in the UK only), and Fromm. Make sure it is a grain free variety.

If you need any nutritional advice, there are tons of people on here with a lot of great experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for the great advice. I will look into getting the shampoo and melatonin. As for the food I've had so much trouble as he doesn't seem interested which of those suggested would be the best for a really picky eater.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I've heard good things about all of them with picky eaters. James Wellbeloved will probably be easiest to get in the UK. In my opinion, Ziwipeak is the best of the foods because it is actually a completely balanced raw diet in a pre-packaged form. But I have heard it is hard to get in the UK and prohibitively expensive.

Also, picky eaters will usually do better if the kibble is moistened a bit. Add a little bit of water and it will make the kibble smell better to them. It is better for them to have the added moisture too. I have a picky eater too, I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
My personal favorite three foods are..

#1 Raw(if you are willing to learn about properly balancing the diet)

#2 Ziwipeak(air-dried raw)

#3 Acana Pacifica(one of the best kibbles out there, and proved great results for many dogs with skin conditions or food allergies)

I would add some high quality fish oil three times per week as well.

ps: he can be picky because you let him, or because there is an underlying
medical condition. Most picky dogs are spoiled dogs. Put the meal down twice
per day for 15 minutes at a time, once in the morning and once at night, if he
does not eat a meal he has to wait until the next. NO home food, NO treats.
An occasional raw bone to clean teeth is ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the help. I think I will try the Arcana Pacifica as the ziwi Peak is far too expensive in the UK and is a bit out of my price range. Also I leave Wolfies food down and he sometimes won't eat until I go to pick it up at bedtime, very annoying as too late. I think maybe he's still dictating to me too much, lol. The strict feeding regime sounds harsh as I'm frightened he'll lose more weight but maybe I should try it?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
A healthy dog won't starve himself. Try it. Discipline is a good thing.
If you see he is not eating then another vet visit is in order.

I wish you both well. You have a real cutie there, hope he puts some weight on soon.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
LS is right. My Toby really HATES to eat. He'd much rather play or sleep. But after missing two meals because he was stubborn, he has realized that if he doesn't eat when his food is down he is going to be hungry. YOU have to be in charge of his eating habits, not HIM. He will not starve and it is not harsh. It will make him much more motivated to eat when the food is down.

And Acana Pacifica is excellent food. Add a bit of water to moisten it and I think he will be VERY interested in eating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel so relieved after coming on here and speaking to you all. I will try out you sensible suggestions and love that so many of you have so much more experience than I have. I have also been looking at prey food and it seems so natural and I find myself drawn to it. I've been watching videos on you tube and the Chi's seem to rellish the prey food. As you may have noticed by my user name - I loves wolves and going this way seems so natural. Do you think this would be an idea as I would much prefer to go the natural way (even though I'm personally a vegetarian), I wasn't always so and would have no problem with my little man eating in a natural way as his wild ancestors do!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Prey Model Raw is a great way to go, if you have the commitment to make sure that you do it right. I personally am choosing to feed Ziwipeak because it is raw without the trouble. You need to make sure that you have the correct balance of meat to bones to organs so that your pup gets all the necessary nutrition it needs.

PMR is not to be taken lightly. I am sure our resident PMR expert, Tracy (brodysmom) will be more than willing to help you with starting out. There are a ton of great resources on this site to get you started. Many people on here feed raw and their dogs excel.

Here is the link to the raw feeding section of Chi People.
Raw Food - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
ZiwiPeak is NOT expensive because of the amount you feed. A 1 kilo bag probably started out life as 10kg of Venison or Lamb (based on my personal experience of dehydrating their treats at home from raw to jerky).

In my opinion it's the best food you can get and with a pup in Wolfies condition, you have to make every mouthful count. Honestly, what you currently have him eating now, I wouldn't feed, even if it was given to me. I would also be giving him lots of raw chicken meat, skin and fat, wing bone in one or twice a week.

To only worm once ever six months, you're missing lots of different parts of the nematode's lifecycle - sign, I don't know what's wrong with vets half the time, it's like they're in a trance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok decision made! I love Wolfie so much and want the best for him so I'm going for Ziwipeak and some chicken wings. Takin on board what you all have said, I trust your judgements far more than vets who don't seem to know anything. I will also start worming monthly when I do his flea treatment. Fingers crossed these changes will help him. I have started the stricter regime this morning as well.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Gay

I just replied to the message you sent me about the ZP - I hadn't seen this thread till now.

If you want me to I can send you a little sample of both the lamb and the vension flavour so you can see if he does like it before you buy a bag? Just PM me your address if you would like me to and I'll pop some in the post tomorrow morning :)

Lianne x

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Liann, I have PM'd you.

I've been doing loads of research today and looking for keritin shampoos and coat sprays etc., I'm determined to get my Wolfie looking the best he can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts