Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it typical for a chi to "lose their winter coat" like some breeds... or do chi's really even have such a thing? Just curious, lol; Eleanor's hair has significantly thinned out lately. It's been very gradual as we couldn't even tell until comparing her to her older (and by that, keep in mind we've only had her since Feb lol) photos.
She was itchy when we first got her; but after switching her from Pedigcrap to TOTW that cleared up pretty quick.. along with a dose of Frontline too.
She really isn't itchy any more, her coat appears shiny and healthy.. its just that her furnishings seem a lot more thinned out than they were when we got her... granted her coat was dull, but it was full.
I'll probably end up taking her to work just to have her checked out but she just had an exam/vaccines earlier this week and I'll have labwork results back soon so I'm waiting to hear back on those. But Idunno, if you'd never seen her before you'd think she looked perfectly normal.. and she really isn't showing any other symptoms.
I might just go ahead and bathe her in a neem oil shampoo just as a precaution, but that said I would think if it were anything contagious Kahlua would show signs too, which she isn't.
Any advice?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Is she spayed? Reason I ask is 5 months after Maribelle is in heat she looses a LOT of fur. I thought it was a seasonal shed (which it could have been) but I also read females can have this happen as a part of their heat cycle. If she's not itchy or anything I'd probably guess its just a shedding. Hopefully she'll get nice & full again soon! :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Lily is shedding at the moment fur coming out all the time,suppose she's getting rid of her winter coat,she is spayed

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha, no she is not spayed yet!! That's why we had her in for her exam and vaccines, she needed her preanesthetic labwork before she can go under. She had her litter in the middle of February though, and she hasn't gone back into heat or anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts