Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Michele. I have a 13 week old male chi who has completely stolen my heart. His dad is a 3 lb. chihuahua, and his mom is a 4 lb. hairless. Jasper has a Mohawk and a few hairs on his feet and the tip of his tail. Whenever I figure out how to post photos I'll be sure to show him off.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Bet he's cute. Would love to see pics. I have seen more and more chi and CC mixes. I think breeders are trying to get the size down on the CC, even though they are still toys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! Dad is a 3 lb. smooth chihuahua; Mom is a 4 lb. hairless chihuahua. I have pics of mom and dad I'll post as soon as I learn how. Jasper looks exactly like a 1 lb. version of a Crested. He has a great personallity. I've had dogs for more years than I care to admit, and have 3 others right now.... all rescues. Jasper is honestly the smartest pup I've dealt with.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've seen hairless Chi's advertised. I don't get it. Blues can have color dilute alopecia which is a genetic disorder that makes them bald. Not really a desirable trait though. :confused: I could understand if they were mixed with a CC--that breed is meant to be hairless! :)

Regardless I'm sure your baby is adorable. I'd also love to see a pic. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome, he sounds cute. Not sure if I've ever heard of a purebred chihuahua other than the ones who have Color Dilution Alopecia or ones who have CC in their background somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both of his parents are blues. His skin is blue and pink. He has 2 hairless blue sisters. There were 3 more in his litter that did not make it to weaning. Those 3 were smooth coated.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just so you know, ethical breeders do not breed dilutes to each other. Blue is a dilute color. There can be deafness/blindness and internal problems with this combination. Do you know what the 3 other pups died from?

A hairless chinese crested has no hair because of a gene that causes hairlessness. The same gene is found in pigs and elephants. That's also why they have such poor teeth that usually fall out by a young age. They aren't fully seated in the jaw and think of the teeth in elephants and pigs.

A hairless chihuahua that is blue has no hair because of a condition called CDA. Color Dilution Alopecia. This is a defect.

Breeding a CDA Chihuahua with a chinese crested seems a very bad idea to me. No ethical breeder would go that route.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Just so you know, ethical breeders do not breed dilutes to each other. Blue is a dilute color. There can be deafness/blindness and internal problems with this combination. Do you know what the 3 other pups died from?

A hairless chinese crested has no hair because of a gene that causes hairlessness. The same gene is found in pigs and elephants. That's also why they have such poor teeth that usually fall out by a young age. They aren't fully seated in the jaw and think of the teeth in elephants and pigs.

A hairless chihuahua that is blue has no hair because of a condition called CDA. Color Dilution Alopecia. This is a defect.

Breeding a CDA Chihuahua with a chinese crested seems a very bad idea to me. No ethical breeder would go that route.
I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything "wrong" with your baby so I wouldn't fret, but just so you know for future.

There is no such thing, per se, as a "hairless" chihuahua, unless the mom was displaying CDA, in which case she should have been removed from the breeding pool, not bred, its not a desireable trait in our breed as far as the show world goes.

Either way we'd love to see pictures of your new baby, I bet he's really cute, and you have him now, so why not love him!? :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
My baby is blue with cda, i had no idea what this was untill i bought Glyn, he was very poorly when i had him, now he bouncing around and very healthy, but my vet said its down to breeding 2 blues and its bad breeding, and should not be done, and has told me under no circomstances must i breed of him, but he is only a pet to me anyway, i would never breed off him, looking forward to seeing pics of yours he sounds lovely though ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts