Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

It never really shocked me before, but after surfing the net yesterday, I came to realize that my chi might be hairless??! :confused:

Indeed, he doesnt have any hair on his chest and neck...and vveeeerry thin hair on his head...

Here is a pic of him:

What do you think? Is this normal or not?

Thanks ! :hello1:

·
Registered
384 Posts
i cannot see the pic, try reposting please :)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I can't see the pic, but he's normal for him. :) He may have a condition called alopecia. And then again, some dogs just aren't as hairy. My chi's range from bald belly and inner legs to hairy, hairy, hairy. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Still no pic. My Yoshi has had every test and he is fine. He has no hair on chest, neck, belly and barely any on his head ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phew...I really had thought he had a kind of genetic abnormality...apparently he isnt the only one like this...!

I really wanted to post the pic tho...whatever I do it doesnt seem to show up...Im going to have to work on that

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
He is beautiful!

There is a posting delay for the first several posts of new members. ;-)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think there are lots of chi's that don't have alot of hair. My Sassy doesn't have alot, it's just the way she's always been. Her coat is thin and light colored and now you can see her age spots showing thru. gotta love um.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The bald neck/chest/head is called "Pattern Baldness" pattern baldness
There is no treatment/cure for it. However Zoey has it and I had some success with growing some hair in using "The Missing Link" supplement, I use the Plus Professional/Veterinary Strength formula, I give her 1/2 a teaspoon as she only weighs 4#, so the bag lasts just 1 dog forever :) Keep in the fridge Here is where I get it: Missing Link Plus for Dogs, Professional Strength, Veterinary Formula, 1 lb - Pet Meds
Here she is before:

Here she is after (this picture was taken about 2 months after being on it)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I just ordered the missing link as mentioned above. Ivy has the problem but not as much, but either way your little boy is soooo cute. He has a very sweet little face:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow !

cprcheetah: thanks alot for this precious information ! I´m def going to try this!
The difference in your chi is striking! Seems this sup really works !

I actually don't mind him being a bit bald...it makes him even more kissable !!:lol:

But its good to know we can do something about it (im moving to Canada soon and I think he might want to have a bit of extra fur on his belly!:iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought Firge had big ears, but your dog is larger than his. I really like him. I've always wanted a Rex cat (that's another story).

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh he's so adorable! He reminds me a little of my Roo. :) Roo is a chocolate blue and she has color dilute alopecia, she's a real baldie too. My main concern about it is how cold she always is in Winter and then the sun in the Summer. She just has peach fuzz on her head and no hair on her stomach/chest/front of her neck area at all. The lower part of her legs is fairly hairless too. I just started using The Missing Link less than a week ago (same as what Heather uses) for her. Fingers crossed it helps for both of our little ones. You can see in these photos how she has no hair on her chest and tummy area.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts